Joseph M. Goldstein
Businesses involved in disputes or government bid protests turn to Joseph M. Goldstein for several reasons: his expertise, trial experience and government background. He is the Managing Partner of the Fort Lauderdale office, where he is a member of the Litigation Department. Mr. Goldstein holds an office in Tallahassee as well. Mr. Goldstein is among the less than one percent of attorneys who are Florida Bar Board Certified in Business Litigation. His qualifications in this area enhance his practice, which focuses on business litigation; government contracts, including bid protests; litigation involving noncompetition agreements; and real estate related disputes. He generally represents defense companies, technology firms, construction firms and government service providers.
- As the result of a bid protest trial, Mr. Goldstein successfully helped a technology company receive a government contract after its proposal was initially rejected.
- He reversed a potential debarment from government contracting for a construction services company that was under allegations of improper conduct.
- He successfully defended a business in a dispute involving alleged theft of proprietary materials and noncompete agreements. This was done through prosecution of an evidentiary hearing and settlement negotiations, including overturning an injunction prohibiting competition.
- Author, Practitioner Insights, "Government Employee May be qui tam Relator Under Federal but not State False Claims Act"
- Florida State Procurement Handbook
- Author, Chapter on Florida Procurement Law, American Bar Association, Section of Public Contract Law, "Guide to State Procurement, a 50-State Primer on Purchasing Laws, Processes and Procedures."
A former Assistant General Counsel for the federal government, Mr. Goldstein has experience in government contracting law and is well known within local and state procurement divisions. He has also been a part-time hearing officer for Broward County for bid protests and debarment hearings under the Broward County Procurement Code. He is a former member of the City of Plantation Planning & Zoning Board.The American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section, has appointed Mr. Goldstein to the following leadership position: Vice-Chair of the State and Local Procurement Division for the 2012-2013 year.
After graduating from law school, Mr. Goldstein served from 1989 to 1991 as a law clerk for Judge Patricia Fawsett on the U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida. Following his clerkship, Mr. Goldstein fulfilled his military commitment arising from his ROTC scholarship. He was selected to serve in the Air Force General Counsel's Honors Program at the Pentagon, where he served on active duty from 1991 until 1994. There he represented the Air Force in more than 150 bid protests before the General Services Board of Contract Appeals and the General Accountability Office. He conducted legal reviews and negotiations with major defense contractors and assisted the Department of Justice in prosecuting fraud and qui tam suits. He left the Air Force as a Captain and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal.
Mr. Goldstein is currently the Vice Chair for the Broward Public Library Foundation and a former Chair man of the Board of the Leadership Broward Foundation. He also formerly served as a Manager for the Plantation Eagles Soccer Club Athletic League.
- Martindale Hubbell A-V Rated
- The Best Lawyers in America®, selected for inclusion in Administrative Law, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- The Best Lawyers in America®, selected Administrative/Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Miami, 2014
- South Florida Business Journal: Listed as a "Power Leader" in the South Florida region, 2014
- South Florida Legal Guide - "Top Lawyers in South Florida," selected for inclusion, 2011, 2012, 2014
- Florida Super Lawyers, selected for inclusion in Business Litigation in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, selected for inclusion: 2014
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Tax, with distinction, 1994
- Nova University, J.D., magna cum laude, 1989
- Cornell University, B.S., Urban and Regional Studies, 1986
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association - Past or Present State and Local Procurement Division, Vice Chair; State and Local Bid Protest Committee, Vice Chair; State Law Database Coordination, Co-Chair
- Florida Bar Board Certified, Business Litigation
- Former Chair, Florida Bar 17th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee "D"
- Former Chair, Leadership Broward Foundation
- Vice Chair, Broward Public Library Foundation
- Board Member of the
Broward Workshop, www.browardworkshop.com