This position performs a variety of legal administrative support duties and delivers high-quality service to clients, exhibiting commitment to integrity and excellence as a creditors’ rights legal assistant. Candidates for the role must have a thorough knowledge of law firm and practice specific administrative processes and procedures, information technology systems, research tools, and a broad-based understanding of the clients, matters, and associated practices. The scope of responsibilities includes prioritizing, managing, following through on multiple projects, and communicating effectively, courteously, and professionally with clients, attorneys, staff, and peers.
We are seeking a professional with a positive work ethic who loves what they do because they know they are on the front line in providing a high level of service to our attorneys, staff, and clients. We think that means you need great people skills, patience, and the ability to multi-task and prioritize. You need to be proactive and confident in your commitment to our attorneys and clients by identifying what they need and providing it.
- Proven ability and experience handling all aspects of administrative support needed to assist attorneys in bankruptcy, state, and federal court cases from inception to resolution with a sustained record of high-quality work.
- Working knowledge of the rules of procedure governing bankruptcy, state, and federal court litigation as it relates to this role.
- Using Case Management/Electronic Case Files (CM/ECF) and state and federal e-filing systems, must have experience filing pleadings in bankruptcy, state, and federal courts in accordance with the related court requirements.
- Experience drafting pleadings, including Notices, Objections, and Orders.
- Experience working in a mid to large size firm and collaborating with various firm-wide departments in the handling of various responsibilities, including case opening, conflicts checks, billing, training, records, etc.
- Effective oral and written communication skills needed to draft and proofread correspondence, pleadings, and other legal documents.
- Experience tracking firm, attorney, and client expenses and using an application software to process reimbursements and payments.
- Knowledge and ability to participate in the client billing process, including assisting attorneys in entering narratives, tracking billable tasks, making edits, calendaring billing due dates, and delivery of bills to clients in electronic and paper forms.
- Schedule state court hearings in accordance with court requirements.
- Understand court requirements to calculate deadlines and ensure they are met by the attorney and team.
- Schedule appointments in coordination with the attorney.
- Managing electronic and paper case files.
- Handling incoming and outgoing mail and other correspondence. Answering, screening, directing and placing telephone calls and emails.
- Consistently deliver outstanding client service and quality.
- The above description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or to otherwise balance the workload.
Education and Experience
- Must have two-year degree or comparable experience.
- Must have a minimum of five years of law firm administrative experience, preferably as a bankruptcy litigation legal assistant.
- Experience working with multiple attorneys required.
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure and time constraints.
- Ability to effectively balance assignments and workflow from multiple attorneys.
- Ability to multitask and handle multiple responsibilities and high volume is crucial.
- Strong attention to detail, initiative, and follow-through required.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly express thoughts to others and exchange information.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments, vendors, and the public.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including extensive knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel and experience working with law firm case management and billing software required. Knowledge of FileSite, CMS, SmartTime, Aderant, Concur, and Relativity a plus.
- Work in collaboration within a group and individually to ensure that clients are satisfied, includes the desire to understand client concerns and build trust.
- Usual work hours are Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with a one-hour lunch. Overtime work may be required from time to time.
- Great benefits package, including paid holidays, vacation, and sick time, 401(k), health benefits, and more.
- A criminal background check is required and must be successfully completed prior to employment.
- Technology training for firm utilized software is provided during onboarding.