Matthew Akiba is an Associate at the Business Litigation Practice Group of Shutts & Bowen’s Fort Lauderdale office.
Matthew focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation including breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, judicial dissolution, restrictive covenant, and aviation-related disputes. Matthew also has experience in post-judgment collections and proceedings supplementary.
Matthew graduated magna cum laude from the FIU College of Law where he served as the President of the International Law Students Association, as the Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the World Arbitration and Mediation Review, and a member of the Vis Moot team. While in law school, Matthew was a judicial intern for the Honorable Beth Bloom in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Florida International University College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, May 2021
- WAMR Outstanding Service Award
- Outstanding Arbitration Service Award
- Deputy Editor in Chief, World Arbitration and Mediation Review
- President, International Law Students Association
- Competitor, International Commercial Arbitration Team
- University of Maryland, B.A., Government and Politics, May 2015
Professional and Civic
- Member, Florida Bar International Law Section
- Editor, ILS Gazette
- iLaw 2023 Steering Committee
- Member, Florida Bar Business Law Section
- Fellow, Business Law Section of the Florida Bar’s Fellowship Program
- Member, Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section
- Member, Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Chapter 11 Plan Confirmations and Mediation: The Need for Uniformity under the Bankruptcy Code, Florida Bar, Business Law Section (Nov. 11, 2021).
- The Florida Real Estate Recovery Fund: A System of Relief for Citizens, but with High Costs, Blog, Barakat + Bossa (Oct. 12, 2021).
- Lost in Translation: The Importance of Accurate Spelling in UCC Filings, The Commercial Factor, Conference Issue 2023.