Daniel Hernandez is a partner in the Tampa office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he practices general administrative law and is a member of the Corporate Practice Group.
Daniel has focused his practice on assisting companies and individuals in their dealings and engagements with Florida administrative agencies, including the Florida Department of Health, the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration and the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation.
Prior to joining the firm, Daniel served as general counsel to the Florida Department of Health. This professional experience provided him with a unique understanding of the regulatory environment in which our clients operate. He has represented pharmacies, health care providers and facilities, general contractors, hotels, restaurants, bars, catering companies, technology companies and other professional licensees.
Daniel has significant experiencing litigating before the Division of Administrative Hearings and representing clients before professional boards. He has personally handled litigation matters involving professional license denials, professional license discipline, challenges to the validity of agency rules or proposed rules, bid protests, and government contract disputes.
Daniel has strong connections within many state agencies, and can assist clients with all types of licensing and permitting issues, from initial licensing or permitting to professional license defense. Daniel also represents practitioners before the Professionals Resource Network and the Intervention Project for Nurses, and handles matters involving Stark Law and Anti-kickback compliance, HIPAA and HITECH compliance, fraud and abuse compliance, and medical malpractice.
- Florida State University, J.D., 1999
- Florida International University, B.A. in International Relations, cum laude, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
News & Insights
Presenter, "Department of Health Licensure and Discipline - FL State," October 20, 2016
- Regulation of Health Care Practitioners Who Commit PIP Fraud, National Insurance Crime Bureau Seminar (2014, 2015)
- Regulation Of Impaired Health Care Practitioners By The Florida Department Of Health, The Florida Professionals Resource Network Seminar (2011, 2014)
- Taking Emergency Action Against Health Care Practitioners, Metropolitan Bureau Of Investigations Seminar (2011)
- Understanding The Administrative Procedures Act, Florida Department Of Health (2014)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Media Mention, PartBNews, Tampa, 4.8.21
- Speaking Engagement, Tampa, 3.29.21
- Article, 4.25.18
- Article, 10.3.16
- Florida CyberTech Blog, 11.2.16