David McCrea is Of Counsel in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Financial Services Practice Group.
David is a fellow of the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers, and has almost 40 years of experience representing financial institutions and commercial financial services companies. He counsels clients on consumer lending and retail financial services, including federal and state regulation of consumer lending and leasing as well as state licensing issues. David also counsels lenders on federal and Florida law when they establish housing finance programs, auto finance and leasing and other consumer loan programs.
David has counseled credit card issuers on state and federal regulation of the credit card industry. He has advised bank holding companies, banks and thrift institutions in connection with various issues involving day-to-day operational questions, including the check collection process and state and federal regulation of financial institutions. David is also experienced in handling acquisitions and mergers for bank holding companies and bank and thrift institutions.
David has represented a broad spectrum of financial institutions and commercial financial services companies in the structuring and documentation of commercial finance transactions and asset-based transactions. He has handled asset-based lending, including accounts receivable financing and factoring, inventory financing and floor planning, equipment loans and leases, securities credit, acquisition financing and various types of specialized industry financing. His experience includes the representation of lenders in complex loan workouts and restructurings, bankruptcy proceedings and creditors’ rights litigation.
David is a past chair of the ABA’s Personal Property Financing Subcommittee of the Consumer Financial Services Committee. He serves on the Financial Institutions Committee of The Florida Bar and on the Governing Committee of the Conference on Consumer Finance. David also serves as the honorary Board Director for the Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1977
- Georgia State University, M.B.A.,1973
- Emory University, B.B.A.,1972
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Fellow, American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
- Honorary Board Director, Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired
- American Bar Association:
- Past Chair, Personal Property - Financing Subcommittee
- Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Commercial Financial Services Committee
- The Florida Bar
- Banking and Credit Regulation Committee
- Conference on Consumer Finance
- Governing Committee
- National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws
- Official Observer, Uniform Certificate of Title Act Drafting Committee
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Florida law editor, CARLAW and HOUSELAW publications