David S. Resnick is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Tax & International Law Practice Group. He represents developers in structuring the financing and development of affordable housing, including: entity selection for non-profit and for-profit developer clients; applying for, and syndication of, federal low-income housing tax credits; securing subordinate government financing; and representation before state and local housing agencies.
David additionally focuses his practice on corporate matters, including joint venture transactions, and preparing and negotiating asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, and related closing documents. He assists clients with formation of entities and drafting organizational documents. David lends a strong tax background to his clients’ transactions, advising real estate developers, investors, restauranteurs and corporations when structuring their partnerships, acquisitions and dispositions.
David has experience representing foreign clients as well with their real property investments in the United States including compliance with, and minimizing the tax consequences resulting from, the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA) and U.S.-based clients investing abroad. David also works with clients on resolving tax controversies by negotiating installment agreements and offers in compromise with the IRS. He also assists clients with state and local tax issues and audits concerning Florida documentary stamp tax and nonrecurring intangible tax, Florida sales and use tax, and Florida communication services tax.
David has experience working with foreign and domestic banking institutions, and other foreign entities, focusing on analysis, planning, and implementation of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Common Reporting Standard (CRS).
For a list of David’s representative matters, please click here.
- University of Miami, LL.M.
- New York Law School, J.D., cum laude
- University of Michigan, B.A.
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
Professional and Civic
- Member, Alumni Association of the University of Michigan
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Executive Committee Member, United Way of Miami-Dade Young Leaders
News & Insights
- “Doing it Together, Real Estate Joint Ventures!,” South Florida Independent Retailer Awards , September 19, 2019
- “Nuanced Issues in Real Estate Joint Venture Agreements,” International Council of Shopping Centers, August 26, 2019
- Moderator, “Opportunity Zones: Lessons Learned,” Miami Finance Forum , July 23, 2019
- Panelist, “Regulatory Updates: FATCA and CRS,” SunTrust International, February 19, 2016
- Panelist, “What are the FATCA Deadlines I Need to Know About?,” FIBA, June 25, 2013