Eric C. Reed is a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group.
Eric combines his trial experience and communications skills in disputes involving commercial litigation, construction litigation, commercial landlord/tenant litigation, commercial and consumer collections and replevins, mortgage and lien foreclosures, and general lender representation.
Eric’s work in this area focuses on representing national and local companies dealing with distressed businesses and individuals. This entails obtaining money judgments and in rem judgments against property pledged as collateral and assisting clients in collecting on those judgments in post-judgment proceedings, including supplementary proceedings.
Contested Foreclosure Litigation and Consumer Finance Litigation Experience
Eric has represented numerous mortgage loan originators, loan servicers, and investors in lawsuits and contested foreclosures. He has represented banks and other finance businesses in state in law suits concerning the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act, and arising out of Consumer Finance Protection Bureau regulations.
Eric helps represent timeshare companies and other companies in financially-related cases. He also represents plaintiffs or defendants in disputes involving the automotive industry. In addition, Eric represents contractors and owners involving construction lien issues.
Prior to joining Shutts, Eric gained trial experience as an Assistant State Attorney in the Ninth Judicial Circuit in Orange County, Florida. Before attending law school, he was a Territory Manager for a national consumer product company. This post helped him gain an understanding of corporate management and sales as he directed operations in the State of Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, while hiring and supervising a team of 30 merchandisers.
Currently, Eric serves as President-Elect of the Orange County Bar Association. He also serves as a board member of the Orange County Bar Association Legal Aid Society, the Orange County Bar Foundation and he previously chaired the Orange County Bar Association Judicial Relations Committee.
- Barry University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- University of Florida, B.S., Telecommunications, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Orange County Bar Association
- Executive Council, 2011-2020
- President-Elect, 2020-2021
- Legal Aid Society
- Board Member, 2020
- Judicial Relations Committee
- Chair, 2012-2014
- Young Lawyers Section
- President, 2010-2011
- Executive Council, 2011-2020
- Orange County Bar Association Foundation
- Board Member, 2019-2020
- Board Member, 2011-2013
- Leadership Orlando (Class 96) Graduate - April 2019
- Junior Achievement Leadership Council, 2015-2018
- The Ronald McDonald House
- Second Vice-Chair, 2020-2021
- Board Member, 2017-present
News & Insights
- Moderator, "Judicial Biases & Recusals,” Orange County Bar Association’s 2020 Bench Bar Conference (October 2, 2020)
- Moderator, "Chapter 607: The New and Improved Florida Business Corporation Act,” Orange County Bar Association’s 2020 Bench Bar Conference (October 2, 2020)
- Presenter, "Best Business Court Practices," Orange County Business Court with Ninth Judicial Circuit Chief Judge Donald Myers (July 8, 2019)
In the News
News & Speaking Engagements
- Event, Orlando, 11.20.20
- Speaking Engagement, Orlando, 11.17.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Recognition, Orlando, 6.2.20
- Recognition, 4.7.20
- Article, 1.31.20
- Recognition, 6.24.19
- Article, 6.18.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Article, 8.15.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Best Lawyers in America®, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2021
- Florida Trend, Florida Legal Elite, 2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Bankruptcy, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Florida Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer, Creditor Debtor Rights, 2015, 2016, 2019