Gary M. Bagliebter is a partner in the Fort Lauderdale office of Shutts & Bowen, LLP. He is a member of the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group and Co-Chair of the White Collar Crime and Government Investigations Practice Group.
Gary is a Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated attorney, a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist and has been recognized among the Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation, Banking & Finance Litigation and White Collar Criminal Defense. He concentrates his practice in commercial trial practice in federal and state courts, USA PATRIOT Act and Bank Secrecy Act litigation and compliance matters, internal corporate investigations, and grand jury and administrative investigations. Gary has served as local Florida counsel in several aircraft accident cases, all of which involved wrongful death claims.
A frequent panelist and lecturer on anti-money laundering regulatory and compliance topics, Gary's represented financial institutions against governmental and customer lawsuits and administrative adverse actions related to the Bank Secrecy Act, Right to Financial Privacy Act, Electronic Communications Privacy Act, as well as money laundering and regulatory compliance matters. He regularly counsels foreign and domestic financial institutions and works with compliance personnel on the complex and technologically advanced money laundering schemes, internet gambling issues, and related government laws and regulations. He represents financial institutions in preparing and reviewing compliance manuals, analyzing underlying suspicious activities, analyzing documentary evidence related to grand jury and administrative subpoenas, Commissioner’s Subpoenas issued under letters rogatory and multi-lateral assistance treaties.
Prior to joining Shutts, Gary was an Assistant United States Attorney in Miami, where he concentrated on fraud investigations and prosecutions; and as an Assistant State Attorney in Miami, he investigated and prosecuted governmental corruption. Gary also served as a New York State Special Assistant Attorney General, where he investigated and prosecuted corruption in the New York City criminal justice system, and was an Air Force judge advocate, where he prosecuted and defended criminal offenses.
Gary is a member of the Board of Trustees of The Air Force Judge Advocate General’s School Foundation and served for 10 years on the Board of Trustees of the David Posnack Jewish Day School. He is the past chair of the City of Hollywood Charter Review Committee, past vice-chair of the City's General Obligations Bonds Oversight Committee, and was a member of the City's Ad Hoc City Attorney Screening Committee. He's also served as a member of two Citizen Advisory Panels appointed by the Miami-Dade County Board of Commissioners to study municipal incorporation issues.
As a Colonel in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, he was an instructor in the basic and advanced Trial and Defense Advocacy courses of The Judge Advocate General’s School, U.S. Air Force, at Montgomery, Alabama. He served for many years as an adjunct faculty member in the University of Miami Law School’s Litigation Skills Program.
- George Washington University, J.D., The National Law Center, 1974
- U.S. Air Force Academy, B.S., 1970
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (Formerly the U.S. Court of Military Appeals)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Rated
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Litigation - Banking & Finance, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Criminal Defense - White Collar, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Commercial Litigation - 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Lawyer of the Year, 2020