Harold Edward “Ed” Patricoff, Jr. is a partner in Shutts & Bowen’s Miami office, where he is Co-Chair of the firm’s International Dispute Resolution Practice Group. Named one of South Florida’s “Most Effective Lawyers” by the Daily Business Review in the Business/Complex Litigation category, Patricoff is recognized as one of the preeminent international commercial litigators in his industry.
Patricoff is a Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated veteran litigator who represents clients in disputes across multinational borders. In his nearly 34 years of experience, Patricoff has successfully resolved more than 100 high-stakes legal disputes in Latin America, Europe, Africa and Asia for multinational corporations and financial institutions such as Brown Boveri & Cie, ABB, Alstom, APR Energy, Combustion Engineering, LS Energia, CTS Engines, Stoneway Capital , World Fuel Services, Mediterranean Shipping Company, Centurion Air Cargo, La Costena, SunTrust Bank, BankUnited, Avcard, LTD Merchant Services, Bedeschi America, Inc., Heitman Company, Louis Dreyfus, Terranova Corporation, Parbel, James Stone, The Taubman Company, Asesores en Valores, Corredores Asociados, Ultrabursatiles, S.A., Correval, S.A., SunTrust Investment Services, BanMariva, Banco Construccion, Guardian Life Insurance Company of America, Marsh & McLennan, Telex Chile, ASR Construction, and Inland Steel Co., among others. Patricoff is widely known for his experience in domestic and international fuel sales, supply and distribution and the power generation industry. He serves as outside counsel for an international power generation supplier and a global distributor of aviation, marine and diesel fuel.
A former chair of the firm’s Business Litigation Practice Group, Patricoff also has extensive experience in general commercial litigation. In addition to power, fuel and aviation industries, Patricoff has handled cases in banking, cases involving the blocking or unblocking of assets in the U.S. and abroad, insurance, manufacturing, construction, banking, and real estate. Specific matters include product liability claims, corporate shareholder disputes, developer-contractor disputes, disability claims, commercial foreclosures, and lender liability claims, among others.
An established and seasoned litigator, Patricoff has received numerous awards and recognitions. In addition to being one of the Daily Business Review’s “Most Effective Lawyers,” he has been one of South Florida Legal Guide’s Top Lawyers for 15 straight years. He also recently made his seventh appearance on the Florida Super Lawyers list, an honor reserved for those lawyers who exhibit excellence in practice.
Outside of his practice, Patricoff is deeply embedded in his community, serving on the board of directors for several organizations, including the YMCA of South Florida, the Miami Symphony Orchestra, the Jay Malina Trade Consortium, the American Nicaraguan Foundation and the Ted Smallwood Store. He is also past chairman of the Metro Miami Board for the American Heart Association.
Patricoff earned a Bachelor of Science in biology and political science as well as a Doctor of Jurisprudence from Stetson University. He travels frequently to Europe and Latin America and is fluent in Spanish.
International Arbitration LL.M. Practicum Program
Since 2016, Shutts & Bowen has participated in the University of Miami School of Law’s International Arbitration LL.M. Practicum Program, offering international law students the opportunity to obtain practical experience in the field of international litigation and arbitration with Miami-based law firms for academic credit while pursuing the LL.M. degree. Under Patricoff’s supervision, the students are provided with diverse and challenging projects in a positive, intellectually challenging and professional work environment.
Over the years, more than 25 students from 6 continents and diverse countries such as Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, Colombia, Morocco, Nigeria, Russia, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Venezuela have been welcomed by Patricoff and his international team. They have worked on International Chamber of Commerce, London Court of International Arbitration, American Arbitration Association and International Centre for Dispute Resolution arbitrations; traveled with Shutts partners for mediations, depositions, and hearings; and gained invaluable insights into the working style, standards and expectations that a young international attorney should meet for a successful career.
- Sculley v. Sculley (2015) – Represented wife of former Apple CEO, in high profile post dissolution proceedings. Litigation involved domestic and international assets of the matrimonial estate.
- APR Energy v. Republic of Angola (2017) – Successfully recovered $48 million from the Government of Angola shortly after the inception of litigation on behalf of APR Energy, a power generation supplier, for electricity sold to the Angolan power utility.
- Prevailed against the Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, the Director of Program Policy and Implementation of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and OFAC in the only case where a party prevailed against the U.S. Government after denial of a license to access assets blocked by OFAC.
- Represented a prominent Venezuelan banker in a 28 U.S.C. § 1782 petition to obtain exculpatory evidence in support of defense of criminal proceeding in Venezuela, which ultimately led to his release from Venezuela and escape to the United States.
- Eight days after the nuclear disaster at the Fukushima power station, successfully negotiated a $280M contract, which was executed in less than 30 days, and within 90 days of the disaster, the 203 MW temporary power generation facility was completed.
- Successfully handled dispute with Tanzania utility to free a temporary power station wrongfully seized by the Tanzanian government in a dispute involving $60 million in damages. The matter was resolved by presenting legislation to the U.S. Congress to block funding of $690 million to the Government of Tanzania.
For Patricoff’s full experience by region, click here.
- Stetson University, J.D., cum laude, 1985
- Stetson University, B.S., Biology and Political Science, cum laude, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Professional and Civic
- Board Member, Coral Gables Museum
- Board Member, YMCA of Greater Miami
- Board Member, MISO - Miami Symphony Orchestra
- Board Member, American Nicaraguan Foundation
- Board Member, Ted Smallwood Store
- Member, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Council for Educational Change Board of Trustees
- Past Chairman of Metro Miami Board, American Heart Association
- Past Board Member, Jay Malina International Trade Consortium
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Media Mention, Miami Herald, 4.13.21
- Shutts & Bowen Partner Aliette D. Rodz Appointed Co-Chair of the Firm’s International Dispute Resolution GroupFirm News, 4.7.21
- Recognition, South Florida Legal Guide, 4.6.21
- Publication, POWER, 12.2.20
- Media Mention, Daily Business Review, South Florida, 8.11.20
- Media Mention, POWER, 7.2.20
- Firm News, 6.9.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Recognition, 4.9.20
- Shutts & Bowen Recovers in Excess of $49 Million USD from the Republic of Angola for U.S.-based LS Energia8.16.19
- Shutts & Bowen and Partner Ed Patricoff Sponsor the Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute's 15th Anniversary Gala6.12.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Article, 12.11.17
- Article, 10.20.17
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 1.17.17
- Article, 6.9.16
- Russian American Bar Association hosts talk with Judge Stanford Blake and Magistrate Judge John O'Sullivan4.8.16
- Event, 2.5.16
- Bipartisan group honors Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen for Foreign Affairs leadership in Washington ceremony co-sponsored by Shutts & BowenEvent, 11.26.15
- Ed Patricoff cautions clients conducting business with Mexico due to increasing regulation, money laundering and narcotic trafficking investigationsArticle, 11.20.15
- South Florida Legal Guide recognized Shutts & Bowen as a Top Law Firm, and named these 21 Shutts & Bowen lawyers as 2015 Top Lawyers.2.9.15
- Featured, "Micro Generation with Macro Possibilities," Power, July 2020
- Featured, "Luanda Leaks: Angolan Corruption Hangs Over Commonwealth Application," Florida Post, January 2020
- Author, "Is the African Nation of Angola the Next Venezuela?," Cajnews Africa, December 2019
- Featured, "Happy Ending After Energy Client Gets Stiffed by Foreign Government," Daily Business Review - Most Effective Lawyers Special Report, December 2019
- Featured, "Investing in African Energy - Weighing Risks and Rewards," POWER Magazine, September 2019
- Featured, "Angola Should Not Join Commonwealth' Expert Warns Amidst Prince Harry's Country Visit," Daily Express, September 2019
- Featured, "Interview with BBC World," BBC World, September 2019
- Featured, "Harold "Ed" Patricoff Named to Boarrd of Coral Gables Museum," Miami Community Newspapers, September 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers - Arbitration, 2019
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers - Business/Complex Litigation, 2017
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, 2004-2019, 2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, International, 2006, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020