Jake Baccari is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the International Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
A Florida Bar Board Certified Specialist in International Law, Jake focuses his practice on litigation, regulatory matters, and multi-jurisdictional dispute resolution, with a particular focus on Asia. Jake has represented clients in a diverse range of industries, including aerospace, automotive, banking and finance, energy, heavy, hospitality, private equity, and private wealth. Jake has experience representing clients in multi-jurisdictional and domestic litigation and arbitration as well as in federal and state court proceedings throughout the United States. Jake has represented clients in contentious and regulatory matters across the United States and in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East. Jake also has experience conducting investigations and advising clients on corporate affairs and crisis situations.
In previous roles, Jake acted as global coordinating disputes counsel for Japanese clients in the Tokyo office of an international law firm where he was registered as a foreign attorney with the Japan Federation of Bar Associations. He later served as senior group counsel for a multinational financial institution based in Singapore.
The Florida Bar recently appointed Jake to serve on the International Law Certification Committee for a three-year term beginning on July 1, 2021.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2004
- Inter-American Law Review, Articles and Comments Editor
- Order of the Coif
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, B.A., English, 1998
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Professional and Civic
- Southeast U.S./Japan Association, Florida Delegation
- Japanese Business Association Miami
- Florida Bar International Law Certification Committee (2021-2024)
News & Insights
- Panelist, Japan Touchpoints in the Americas: Economy, International Arbitration & ADR and Developing Capacity, University of Miami School of Law (April 2021)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 6.3.21
- Firm News, 6.1.21
- The Loewen Claim: A Creative Use of NAFTA’s Chapter 11, 34 U. Miami Inter-Am. L. Rev. 465 (2003)
- "Meet the 52 Florida Bar Board Certified Members in International Law," The Florida Bar International Law Section
- Florida Bar Board Certified in International Law
- Formerly Registered Foreign Attorney in Japan (Gaikokuho Jimu Bengoshi) (2008-2015)
- Best Lawyers in Japan (2019-2021)