James A. Farrell is a partner in the West Palm Beach office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is the Chair of the Health Care Practice Group.
Jim is Florida Bar Board Certified in Health Law. A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated attorney, he's been named among the Best Lawyers in America® in Health Law since 2006 and has been recognized by Florida Super Lawyers in Health Law since 2006.
A former hospital executive and general counsel, Jim specializes in healthcare mergers and acquisitions, managed care and joint venture development. He understands the demands of running a complex business in a regulatory environment. He now lends his expertise in law and health care management to companies making transitions in the industry.
Jim is adept at analyzing and negotiating agreements, while also helping clients launch new enterprises. He works to develop large single and multi-specialty physician group practices. For clients involved in managed care agreements, James is an experienced negotiator between HMOs, PPOs and providers. Overall, he works with a variety of health care clients, including hospitals, physicians, health maintenance organizations and others.
His work in commercial transactions involves acquisitions, mergers and sales. He's handled these arrangements for acute care and psychiatric hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, physician practices, diagnostic facilities, skilled nursing facilities, clinical laboratories, physical therapy centers, HMOs and other companies. In addition, James provides general corporate and business law advice to physician groups and hospitals as well as Stark law, Medicare fraud and abuse, and HIPAA compliance.
Jim served on The Florida Bar’s Board of Legal Specialization and Education, is past chair of the Health Law Certification Committee and has also served multiple times on the Executive Council of its Health Law Section. He's also active in civic organizations, serving as a board member and past president of the Rehabilitation Center for Children and Adults, vice-chair and member of the Board of Governors of The King's Academy, and as an Elder of Memorial Presbyterian Church.
Jim frequently speaks at health care related seminars and has written health law related articles.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 1981
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Industrial Management, 1979
Professional and Civic
- American Health Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education
- Past Chairman, Florida Bar Health Law Certification Committee
- Past President and Board Member, Rehabilitation Center for Children and Adults
- Past Chair of the Board of Trustees, Columbia Hospital
- Past Vice Chairman and Board Member, The King's Academy
- Elder, Memorial Presbyterian Church
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Media Mention, The American Lawyer, 1.12.21
- Recognition, Palm Beach Illustrated, 9.1.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Recognition, 8.28.18
- Article, 8.15.18
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Health Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Healthcare, 2014
- Best Lawyers in America®, Health Care Law, 2006—2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, Health Law, 2006—2019
- South Florida Business Journal, "Power Leader" in Healthcare, 2014
- Medical Business, Best Healthcare Attorney
- "Top Lawyer," Palm Beach Illustrated, 2018, 2020