Joseph (“Joe”) Bolton is of counsel in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Real Estate Practice Group. Joe was a member of the Executive Committee for nine years and firm wide Managing Partner for six years.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated attorney, Joe has 40 years of experience representing real estate and financial businesses in their complex transactions. He has been recognized among the Best Lawyers in America® in real estate since 2010.
Commercial Real Estate
Joe advises clients in a broad range of real estate issues, including structuring and negotiating acquisitions, sales, financing and leasing of commercial properties. He works with developers, property owners and real estate brokers, whether they are entering the South Florida market or expanding their operations in the area. Jose has also appeared at trials in state and federal courts as an expert witness in real estate law.
Joe has experience working with regional and national clients in banking and large financing projects. This includes asset-based loans, including loans secured by real estate, inventory, equipment, receivables, and securities, as well as multi-state loan transactions. He has worked extensively on workouts of problem commercial loans on behalf of lending institutions.
Joe has also spoken and written about various legal topics, including commercial lending, property liens, real estate titles and title insurance.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1974
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Economics, 1970
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Boy Scouts of America, former Troop Leader
- Past Member, University of Chicago Law School Visiting Committee
News & Insights
- “Ethical Considerations in Commercial Loan Practice,” presented as a Florida Bar-approved CLE Seminar in conjunction with a seminar underwritten by Lorman Education Services, July 2005
- “Commercial Lending Requirements and Loan Documentation in Florida: What To Do When the Commercial Loan Goes Bad and the Unintentional Fiduciary-Avoiding Lender Liability in Commercial Lending,” presented as a Florida Bar-approved CLE Seminar in conjunction with a seminar underwritten by Lorman Education Service, June 2002
- “Lien Potpourri: Real Property Liens; Centralized Filing of Personal Property Liens; Revisions to Mortgage Foreclosures” presented in conjunction with the 21st Annual Legislative Update and Recent Case Review sponsored by the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of The Florida Bar, July 2001
- “What To Do When the Commercial Loan Goes Bad,” presented as a Florida Bar-approved CLE Seminar in conjunction with a seminar underwritten by Lorman Education Service, March 2001
- Co-Author, “What Do I Do With My Judgment Now? A Primer on the New Centralized Judgment Lien Law.” The Florida Bar Journal, November 2001 (Volume LXXV, No. 10)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, South Florida Legal Guide, 4.6.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Recognition, 4.9.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Recognition, 1.17.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- South Florida Legal Guide recognized Shutts & Bowen as a Top Law Firm, and named these 21 Shutts & Bowen lawyers as 2015 Top Lawyers.2.9.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rated
- Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021