Kathleen Krak is a former prosecutor and a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where she is a member of the Construction Litigation Practice Group.
Kathleen assists clients with a wide range of construction and general commercial matters, including inter-related licensure, regulatory and criminal issues. She advises individuals and entities regarding contractual, statutory and regulatory rights and obligations, providing representation throughout all phases of litigation and dispute resolution. Kathleen has also provided interim in-house counsel assistance on assignment for large and small corporations regarding construction and general counsel matters, as well as seminars for clients and professional groups.
In 2014, Florida's Governor appointed Kathleen to the Electrical Contractors' Licensing Board. Responsible for licensing and regulating electrical contractors and contracting in Florida, the ECLB reviews applications for licensure, disciplinary matters, petitions seeking declaratory guidance on industry statutes, and conducts informal hearings relating to licensure and discipline.
Kathleen also provides trial and appellate representation for clients, to include indigent clients through the firm’s Pro Bono department, in matters involving the The Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.
Prior to joining Shutts, Kathleen was a prosecutor for the Pinellas County State Attorney, later representing law enforcement and municipalities in state and federal civil rights litigation.
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D.
- Florida State University, B.A., Clinical Psychology; Computer Science, Minor
- All Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional and Civic
- Board Member, Florida's Electrical Contractors' Licensing Board (2014-present)
- Florida's Ninth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (2014-2017)
- The Florida Bar
- Administrative Law Section
- Real Property Probate and Trust Section
- Trial Lawyer Section
- Criminal Section
- Tax Law Section
News & Insights
- “Fundamentals of Florida Construction Contracts,” Florida Solar & Storage Summit, presented by the Florida Solar Energy Industries Association (June 3, 2021)
- “Florida Construction Lien Law Essentials: The Good, Bad and Ugly,” Lorman Education Services (September 16, 2016)
- "Working with Administrative Boards-A View from the Regulators," Florida Bar Advanced Construction Law Institute, March 2015
- Co-author, "P3: What’s in a Name and What Does It Mean for Utility Contractors?” Utility Contractor (October 21, 2014)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Erik Szabo and Kathleen Krak to Present on Construction Contracts at the Florida Solar & Storage SummitSpeaking Engagement, Orlando, 5.4.21
- Webinar, 7.25.16
- Publication, 10.21.14
- 50 SHADES OF CONSTRUCTION – What Is and Isn’t “Essential” Construction Might Be A Little More Gray Than You Thought.Construction Blog, 4.23.20
- Construction Blog, 4.2.20
- Construction Blog, 8.28.18
- Florida Appellate Law Blog, 11.10.16
- Construction Blog, 10.26.16