Kevin D. Cowan is of counsel in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP and former Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group.
Kevin has been listed in Best Lawyers in America® and Florida Super Lawyers since 2006 and has been named a top real estate lawyer by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Business Lawyers since 2004. With more than 25 years of experience practicing real estate law, Kevin helps clients navigate the fluctuating and dynamic commercial markets in South Florida, while protecting their company interests.
Kevin assists developers, finance and insurance firms in all phases of real estate, including structuring development, financing, sale, acquisition, foreclosure, workouts, leases and land use contracts. He also works with property owners to negotiate leases and supervise commercial lease teams. Kevin’s experience ranges from downtown office or anchor/tenant retail leases to $500 million mixed-use developments, which include mega yacht marinas, hotels and retail space. He has worked on commercial ground leases and related financing, large-scale condominium developments (representing the financial partner or development partner), and institution-owned office complexes. He also advises clients with co-counsel on matters throughout the state of Florida.
Kevin offers his clients a comprehensive analysis by working with tax counsel, insurance advisors, accountants and estate planners in connection with negotiations, contracts and corporate, partnership and joint venture arrangements.
Kevin is a graduate of Emory University School of Law, where he was an editor of the Emory Law Review. He also completed Real Estate Investment Analysis at The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 1980
- Editor of the Emory Law Review
- University of Pennsylvania, The Wharton School
- Real Estate Investment Analysis
- Ohio State University, B.A., summa cum laude, English, 1977
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Recognition, 5.27.16
- Recognition, 6.25.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Recognition, 6.2.06
- Eleven Attorneys Rated by Chambers and Partners
- Shutts Attorneys Named to "Super Lawyer"
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- Top Dealmaker in the State of Florida for 2008 for $489 million UrbanAmerica transaction
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate, 2004—2016
- Best Lawyers in America®, 2006—2022
- Superior, South Florida Business Journal, 2003—2008
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006—2014, 2016-2018