Logan E. Gans is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Tax and International Law Practice Group.
Logan regularly represents clients on U.S. Federal tax, international tax, and state and local tax matters. Logan also advises U.S. clients on outbound corporate and tax planning, including Subpart F, GILTI, PFIC, and FDII matters. He counsels foreign clients on their inbound investments in the United States, including U.S. real property, corporate restructurings, portfolio debt planning, and cross-border mergers and acquisitions.
Logan also advises clients on the use of qualified opportunity funds for investments in opportunity zones and qualified opportunity zone businesses. He also counsels high net worth private clients on estate, trust, and gift tax matters.
A Florida Certified Public Accountant, Logan also is experienced in advising clients on partnership tax planning, pre-immigration tax planning, expatriation matters, 1031 exchanges, tax due diligence, transfer pricing, and tax compliance. He also represents clients on tax controversy matters, including penalty appeals, the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP), the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures, and the Delinquent FBAR Submission Procedures.
Prior to joining Shutts & Bowen, Logan was an International Tax Senior Consultant with the multinational accounting firm of Deloitte LLP.
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2010
- Judicial Extern, Chief Judge Frederick D. Smith of the Eighth Judicial Circuit of Florida
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Technology Law and Policy
- General Member, Florida Journal of International Law
- Taxation Book Award
- Executive Board Member, Law College Council
- Teaching Assistant, Legal Research & Writing and Appellate Advocacy courses
- Frederick W. and Grace P. Brecht Scholarship
- Boston College School of Management, M.S., Accounting, 2011
- Dean's Scholarship
- Emory University, B.A., Economics & History, summa cum laude, 2007
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sam Bredow Memorial Scholarship
- United States Tax Court
Professional and Civic
- The Florida Bar Tax Section
- C Corporations Subcommittee 2020-2022
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Florida Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- International Taxation Committee, 2017-2022
- State Taxation Committee, 2019-2020
- The International Tax Group
- Emory Miami Legal Network, General Board
News & Insights
- Panelist, “2022 US Real Estate Tax Issues Update for Nonresident Aliens: FIRPTA and Opportunity Zones” – Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners (STEP) Miami – March 2022
- Presenter, “40th Annual International Tax Conference” – FICPA and the Florida Bar Tax Section – January 2022
- Presenter, “6th Annual International Tax Conference Boot Camp” – FICPA and the Florida Bar Tax Section – January 2021
- Presenter, “5th Annual International Tax Conference Boot Camp” – FICPA and the Florida Bar Tax Section – January 2020
- Panelist, "Qualified Opportunity Zones: Latest Updates on Investment Incentives" – June 2019
- Speaker, "Important International Tax Nuggets of the 2017 Tax Act" – American Academy of Attorney-CPAs – November 2018
- Speaker, "Cryptocurrency/Blockchain Regulation: Beyond the Basics" - NSU Law - October 2018
- Speaker, "International Tax Update" – International Insights Symposium – February 2018
News & Speaking Engagements
- Speaking Engagement, 3.17.22
- Recognition, The Legal 500, 1.12.22
- Speaking Engagement, 1.4.22
- Recognition, 10.4.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Media Mention, The Real Deal, 4.8.21
- Recognition, South Florida Legal Guide, 4.6.21
- Event, 1.14.21
- Media Mention, The Legal 500, 10.16.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- There is Only One Miami Beach: Preparing for the Next Generation of South Florida Residents and InvestorsArticle, Daily Business Review, 6.1.20
- Media Mention, The Real Deal, 5.19.20
- Media Mention, Forbes, 4.20.20
- Client Alert, 4.16.20
- Client Alert, 4.16.20
- Article, 1.29.20
- Speaking Engagement, 1.22.20
- Often Overlooked Tax Incentive Reduces U.S. and Florida Taxable Income for Manufacturers and U.S Distributors5.28.15
- Treasury and IRS Provide Clarity on Valuable Opportunity Zone Tax Incentive," Daily Business Review (November 12, 2018).
- "Don't Get Knocked Out by the Failure to Pay Taxes," Daily Business Review (August 18, 2017).
- "Campaign Promise of Tomorrow Here Today," Daily Business Review (May 28, 2015) (co-authored with Francis Rodriguez).
- "Take Me Out to the Ball Game, But Should the Crowd's Taxes Pay for It?" Virginia Tax Review, Volume 29, Number 4 (Spring 2010).
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Tax Law, 2021, 2022
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyers, 2021
- Emory Alumni Association, 40 Under Forty, 2021