Maria del Pilar Rubio is an attorney in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where she is a member of the Tax and International Law Practice Group.
Pilar’s practice includes pre-immigration tax planning, tax impact of alternative structures for U.S. and foreign persons and corporate reorganizations. She counsels clients on all aspects of entering into, and complying with, the IRS’ Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Program (OVDP) and Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures. Pilar also has experience drafting gift and estate tax planning documents including trusts, wills and ancillary documents.
- University of Miami School of Law, Master of Laws in Taxation, 2014
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- Florida International University, B.A., Business Administration, cum laude, 2010
Professional and Civic
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- Florida Bar Association, Tax Section
- Treasurer, Colombian-American Bar Association (COLBAR)
News & Insights
- Speaker, "Reforma Tributaria Ley 1819 de 2016 y su impacto en Empresas de Familia", Bogotá, Colombia, March 2017
- Panelist, “Regulatory Updates: FATCA and CRS,” SunTrust International Wealth Conference, February 2016
- Speaker, “Opportunities Through Emigration” and “Opportunities in USA and Canada – Hot or Overheated?”- The Overseas Property Professionals, The OPPLive London, November 2014
News & Speaking Engagements
- Article, 2.22.16
- Article, 1.5.16