Mark E. Grafton is a Senior Associate in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Real Estate Practice Group.
Mark possesses experience negotiating and drafting a wide variety of agreements relating to real property, including restrictive covenants, easements, development agreements, purchase and sale agreements, and lease amendments. In addition, Mark has advised both prospective and current property owners in navigating local land use regulations to assist in evaluating their entitlement options.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark focused his practice on representing individuals, businesses, and governmental entities in resolving complex disputes, often relating to real estate. His track record in real estate litigation includes successful first chair representation of a property owner in an administrative trial relating to a comprehensive plan amendment, successful representation of a developer at oral argument before Florida’s Third District Court of Appeal in a breach of contract case, and obtaining a seven-figure substantial jury verdict after trying a complex commercial dispute for three weeks in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
As a sixth-generation Miamian, Mark’s roots in the community run deep. He served as the Chair of the Young Leaders Group for the Urban Land Institute (ULI) in Southeast Florida/Caribbean from 2020 to 2022, during which time he focused on creating opportunities for substantive engagement with the topics of Resiliency and Housing Affordability.
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., cum laude, May 2015
- Moot Court Team
- Captain, Vis International Commercial Arbitration Team
- Recognized as “The Outstanding Moot Court Board Member” for 2015
- Georgia Journal of International & Comparative Law, Editorial Board
- Environmental Law Association, President (2014-15)
- Red Clay Environmental Law Conference, Co-Chair (2013-14)
- Lumpkin Inn of Court, Member (2014-15)
- Research Assistant to Prof. Dan T. Coenen (May – Dec. 2013)
- Moot Court Team
- University of Florida, B.S., Business Administration, May 2011
Intellectual Decisions on Environmental Awareness Solutions, Founder & President
Professional and Civic
- Leadership Miami, Class 38
- Chair, Urban Land Institute Young Leader’s Group (2020-2022)
- Board of Trustees, HistoryMiami Museum (2023-Present)
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Article, Daily Business Review, Miami, 5.8.23
- Speaking Engagement, 3.15.23
- Firm News, 2.22.23
- Business and Legal Insights, 5.8.23