Michael A. Sjuggerud is a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Real Estate Practice Group. He is Board Certified in Real Estate Law by The Florida Bar.
Michael advises financial institutions, businesses, local governments, and others on transactions involving the sale, purchase, financing, leasing, development, and use of real property. In connection with his real property experience, he regularly works on title matters - including title issuance, title review and title issue resolution with respect to a wide variety of property classes. Michael also advises clients on commercial transactions involving the sale, purchase, financing, and use of personal property. Additionally, Michael’s varied background has given him experience in negotiating cross-border transactions, including the preparation of complex contracts for domestic and foreign companies.
Prior to joining Shutts, Michael worked as a foreign lawyer in the Tokyo office of a Japanese law firm, served in the legal department of a Global 500 company, and practiced in the Orlando office of an AmLaw 100 firm.
Michael has represented lenders and borrowers alike in commercial lending transactions and cross-disciplinary matters related to real estate law, land use and environmental law. He has represented sellers and purchasers in a wide range of transactions, including acquisitions, land sales, financings and developments, permitting, closings and due diligence review, including title, survey and zoning analysis.
Michael’s experience includes cross-border transactions involving parties and/or real property in Japan, South Korea, China, Russia, India, Thailand, Indonesia, Mexico, Venezuela, Germany, among others. Representative matters include environmental due diligence, natural resources extraction, land use matters, leasing, etc.
Local Government Experience
Michael has advised local governments on real property and land use matters in Florida. Additionally, he has represented clients before local governments throughout Central Florida on environmental and regulatory issues, land use, permitting, compliance and due diligence matters associated with real property development and planning. Michael understands how local governments function, maintaining close relationships with key professionals and entities to better advocate for his clients in government related matters.
Energy Industry Knowledge
In the energy industry, Michael’s experience includes the negotiation of sales contracts on behalf of a manufacturer of gas turbines for electrical power generation, in addition to advising clients on matters related to the (wholesale) sale of electricity in Florida. He holds an LL.M. in Environmental Law & Policy, staying on top of the latest case law and developments in energy law, such as deregulation of the energy industry, renewables such as wind and solar, and the approval process for energy projects.
- Florida State University College of Law, LL.M., Environmental Law, magna cum laude
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Florida State University Law Review
- Notes and Comments Editor
- Meritorious Service Award
- Best Law Review Article
- Merit Scholarship, Florida Lawyers Legal Insurance Co.
- Medal of Excellence, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Clemson University, M.B.A., Business Administration
- University of Florida, B.S., Finance, magna cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Japanese (JLPT N5)
Professional and Civic
- Florida CCIM Chapter Central District
- Co-Chair of Special Events Committee (2021)
- The Florida Bar
- Real Property Probate & Trust Law (RPPTL) Section
- Commercial Real Estate Committee
- Real Property Probate & Trust Law (RPPTL) Section
- Orange County Bar Association
- Florida State University College of Law Alumni Board, Presidential Appointee (2015 – 2018)
News & Insights
- Presenter - "What are Today's CAP Rates Telling Us?" CCIM Institute (September 16, 2020)
- Presenter - “Real Estate Transactions with Foreign Buyers and Sellers," Global Committee of the Space Coast Association of Realtors® (October 24, 2019)
- "Party Walls in Florida Real Estate Law," Whitepaper (August 3, 2021)
- "Amendments to the Bert Harris, Jr., Private Property Rights Protection Act take effect on October 1, 2021" Whitepaper (July 28, 2021)
- "Environmental Due Diligence Before Purchasing Commercial Property in Florida," Whitepaper (July 21, 2021)
- "What a Survey Can Reveal Before Purchasing Commercial Property in Florida," Whitepaper (June 29, 2021)
- "Doing Business With Florida’s Ports in 2021," Daily Business Review (April 26, 2021)
- "The Effect of COVID-19 Orders on Private Property Rights," Whitepaper (May 7, 2020)
- "The Death of Smoking in Florida: Implementing Prohibitions against Smoking in Residential Developments and Amending the Florida Clean Indoor (Workplace) Air Act," Florida State University Business Review, 17 Fla. St. U. Bus. Rev. 87 (2018)
- "Has the Time Finally Come for Smoke-Free Communities?" Florida Today (Print Edition) (December 24, 2017)
- “New International Jurisdiction Rules: Foreign Companies Must Brace For Change,” International Law Office (2011)
- “Usury claims: Challenging Grey-Zone Interest,” International Law Office (2010)
- “Student Loans in Bankruptcy: Policy Analysis and Portfolio Review,” Banking Law Journal, 123 Banking L.J. 530 (2006)
- “The Basics of Bankruptcy Risk Management when Making Consumer Loans,” Banking Law Journal, 121 Banking L.J. 718 (2004)
- “Defeating the Self-Settled Spendthrift Trust in Bankruptcy,” Florida State University Law Review, 28 Fla. St. U. L. Rev. 977 (2001)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Speaking Engagement, Virtual presentation, 7.28.21
- Firm News, 7.8.21
- Article, Daily Business Review, 4.27.21
- Michael Sjuggerud Discusses How Changes to Flood Insurance Will Affect Central Florida Real Estate in the OBJArticle, The Orlando Business Journal, Orlando, 4.7.21
- Recognition, Orlando, 12.28.20
- Client Alert, Orlando, 12.1.20
- Webinar, Orlando, 8.18.20
- Client Alert, Orlando, 7.16.20
- Client Alert, 5.11.20
- Business and Legal Insights, 8.18.21
- Business and Legal Insights, 2.22.21
- Business and Legal Insights, 2.9.21
- Business and Legal Insights, 1.6.21
- Business and Legal Insights, 12.22.20
- Business and Legal Insights, 12.1.20
- Business and Legal Insights, 7.16.20