Steven M. Greenberg is a partner in the West Palm Beach office of in Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Intellectual Property Practice Group. Steven focuses his practice on intellectual property rights with an emphasis on patent prosecution and strategic global patent counseling to clients ranging from large corporations to startups. He is a member of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Steven has prosecuted more than 4,000 new computer and Internet-related software, electrical/electronic, mechanical, electro-mechanical and medical device patent applications, both domestically and internationally. He specializes in global patent portfolio formulation and management throughout Europe, the Americas and Asia, with an emphasis on the United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Germany, Poland, Russia, Canada, Japan, Korea, China, India, Australia, Israel, Brazil and Mexico.
He has served as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Florida Levin College of Law where he taught computer law and intellectual property. Beginning in January 2019, Steven once again will return to the classroom as an Adjunct Professor of Law teaching patent law at Florida International University College of Law.
At the State level, Steven previously had been appointed by Florida Governor Jeb Bush to the Internet Task Force in 1999, during which time he drafted legislation addressing the issues of cyberpiracy, the on-line protection of children and the Internet transmission of child pornography. At the national level, Steven has also continuously advised Presidential candidates and members of Congress on patent policy and patent reformation in the United States. Most recently, he has been tapped by the Zhongguancun Intellectual Property Rights Center (the "Z Park") to provide advice and guidance on the development and advancement of patent policy in the People's Republic of China.
Finally, in respect to the entrepreneurial community of South Florida, for many years, Steven has both participated as an investor, and also as an advisor, to the "New World Angels," the “Miami Innovation Fund” where he was a member of the Board of Directors, and presently the "Chennai Innovation Partners," in respect to IP due diligence in prospective early stage capitalization. Nationally, he fills an active role as part of the Senior Executive Advisor network of Argand Partners, a New York City and San Francisco based private equity firm.
- University of Florida, J.D.
- Graduate Studies in Computer Science, University of Florida
- Columbia University, B.A., Economics
- Columbia University, B.S., Electrical Engineering
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- French (conversational)
- Korean (reading/writing)
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, Chambers & Partners, 4.23.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Woodrow Pollack and Steven Greenberg Recognized by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine as 2019 IP Stars6.26.19
- “The Inconsistent Treatment of Computer Software as Patentable Subject Matter,” Journal of Technology Law and Policy, Vol. 11, Issue 1, University of Florida, 2006
- “Safeguards Relating to Employee Access to Electronic Communications,” J. Rodman Steele, Protecting Corporate Trade Secrets, Matthew Bender, 2003
- Building an E-Commerce Foundation in Florida, NBI, 2003
- Intellectual Property Law and the Internet, NBI, 2002
- Copyright Law Boot Camp, NBI, 2002
- Hollywood Online!, the Florida Bar, 2002
- E-Commerce Patent Protection (AUTM 2001)
- “Trade Secrets and the Internet,” J. Rodman Steele, Protecting Corporate Trade Secrets, 1999
- Software Copyright, Lorman, 1998
- Internet Law, Lorman, 1998
- “IP Star,” Managing IP Magazine, 2014-2019
- Chambers & Partners, Intellectual Property, 2020
- “Go-To Law Firms at the Top 500 Companies,” recognized for Patent Prosecution work with International Business Machines Corporation, 2013
- Pro Bono Award, Legal Aid Society, 2011
- Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property, 2011-2018
- Best Lawyers in America
- Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2020
- Copyright Law, 2020
- Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2020
- Patent Law, 2020
- Trademark Law, 2020
- Intellectual Property 2009-2018
- Service Award, Healthy Movers Healthy Babies Coalition of Palm Beach County, 2003
- Pro Bono Award, Legal Aid Society, 2002
- Elected to the Order of the Coif, 1999