Douglas M. Kramer is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the International Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated civil litigation and trial attorney, Doug has more than 40 years of experience providing counsel and guidance to clients in a variety of civil disputes. He has successfully handled and favorably resolved complex commercial litigation and arbitration matters. He has represented clients in arbitrations under the rules of the AAA and the ICC. He has also litigated in numerous federal and Florida state courts. He has obtained favorable outcomes for his clients at the pleadings, summary judgment and trial phases of litigation, as well as during pre-suit activities.
Doug has broad experience resolving domestic and international disputes. Areas of his practice include business, real estate, and insurance matters, and have specifically involved disputes concerning agreements, leases, shareholder relationships, creditor's rights issues, and liens and foreclosures. He has also litigated business tort claims, including those alleging fraud or misrepresentation, intentional interference with business contracts or relationships, unfair business practices and conversion and civil theft.
Prior to entering private practice, Doug was a law clerk to the Honorable Justice Arthur J. England, Jr., of the Supreme Court of Florida. Doug has taught Florida Constitutional Law, Appellate Practice and Procedure, Moot Court and Professional Responsibility courses at the University of Miami School of Law. As a law student, he was a member of the Law Review and the Moot Court Board and represented the school in moot court competitions.
- Participated through final arbitration hearing involving an international cargo air transport contract for an award in excess of $6 Million.
- Participated in obtaining a stipulated dismissal of million-dollar arbitration claims, with judgments in client’s favor for money damages and other relief.
- In defense of multiple federal court business claims against an international retailer, obtained an order compelling arbitration and dismissing the case.
- In a suit alleging damages exceeding $7 Million, emanating from improperly documented loan transactions and other alleged wrongdoing, obtained favorable resolution during litigation, eliminating the clients’ losses.
- Successfully defended a financial institution in two separate proceedings alleging tortious interference, conspiracy and inducement to breach fiduciary duty, obtaining final judgments of dismissal with prejudice, affirmance on appeal, and six-figure judgments in client’s favor for attorney’s fees.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Emory University, B.A.
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 8.17.23
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Shutts Partners Douglas Kramer and Peter Levitt Secure Victory for Giorgio Armani as Judge Sends Multimillion-Dollar Furniture Deal Dispute to Arbitration in Italy, Law360 ReportsArticle, Law360, 8.31.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024