Mayte Peña is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where she is a member of the Class Action and Mass Litigation Practice Group.
Mayte’s practice is focused on general civil litigation, including business litigation and insurance-related claims. Mayte primarily represents insurance carriers in personal injury protection litigation matters, specializing in the interpretation and application of automobile insurance policies. Mayte also represents companies involved in disputes in state and federal courts, including representing banks in foreclosure disputes, companies in breach of contract claims, and suits involving compliance with state and federal statutes. Mayte is also a member of the firm’s Cuba Task Force where she has assisted in providing legal advice to clients regarding compliance with the U.S. trade embargo against Cuba.
During her representation of insurance carriers, she has successfully defended personal injury protection lawsuits involving breach of contract on various issues from inception through hearing on dispositive motion, including handling post-judgment litigation obtaining entitlement to attorney’s fees for the insurance carrier. Mayte has also negotiated settlements on behalf of the insurance carriers securing favorable resolution on hundreds of claims.
Prior to focusing on personal injury protection claims at Shutts & Bowen LLP, Mayte practiced law at another one of Florida’s largest firms where in addition to defending insurance claims, she focused on lawsuits involving premises liability, negligence and property damage.
- Florida International University College of Law, J.D., 2012
- Nova Southeastern University, B.S., Legal Studies, 2007
- Miami Dade College, A.S., Paralegal Studies, 2005
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Recognition, 6.27.22
- Speaking Engagement, Miami, 1.27.22
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Article, 1.29.20
- Event, 11.10.15
- Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch, Insurance Law, 2021, 2022, 2023