Established in 1910, Shutts has over a century of experience in navigating the ever-changing waters of U.S.-Cuba relations in the legal, political and commercial spheres. From its base in Miami, we have been in a unique position as both a witness and participant in almost every major event in Cuba’s history since the beginning of the twentieth century. No other law firm in South Florida has such experience. Now, in this latest chapter of the Cuban story triggered by the decision of the U.S. to restore diplomatic ties with Cuba, our two countries are drawing closer and the business opportunities for clients in Cuba should not be ignored.
Our attorneys in the Cuba Task Force are fluent in Spanish and are either Cuban-born, Cuban-American or have visited Cuba extensively. They are uniquely positioned to assist clients with the legal and business opportunities available following the changes in the U.S. public policy toward Cuba. They frequently communicate and meet with the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) on the changes, effects and implementation of U.S. policy. They represent U.S. and foreign clients in international commerce, sales and trade, and have significant experience in handling international business transactions. They also understand and help our clients stay on top of the latest U.S. legal and regulatory environment concerning Cuba and how that affects their business.
- Our legal services include:
- Business entry-planning
- Navigating trade embargo issues
- Obtaining permits for export compliance
- Conducting due diligence investigations with our Cuban attorney counterparts
- Protecting intellectual property and trademarks
In addition, our attorneys understand the culture, language and history of Cuba. They are active in their communities, and they speak and write on U.S.-Cuba relations and the important legal, business, tax and social issues concerning U.S. policies toward Cuba. They serve on the Cuban American Bar Association, the Hispanic National Bar Association, the Hispanic and South Florida Chambers of Commerce, and Latin Chamber of Commerce of the U.S.A. (CAMACOL). Lastly, our firm is dedicated to supporting these efforts, having recently earned the top spot of Law360’s list of best large and midsize firms for Hispanic attorneys.
Meet the Cuba Task Force team by downloading this PDF.
News & Insights
- Event, Tampa, 4.27.22
- Recognition, Tampa, 2.2.22
- Speaking Engagement, Tampa, 1.18.22
- Media Mention, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 8.16.21
- Media Mention, WIOD, 8.4.21
- Firm News, Daily Business Review, 5.25.21
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 5.20.21
- Firm News, Law360, 9.2.20
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 6.3.20
- Article, Cuba Trade Magazine, 5.19.17
- Article, Cuba Trade Magazine, 12.7.16
- Speaking Engagement, 9.20.16