Alfred G. Smith is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is Co-Chair of the Corporate Practice Group.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated attorney, Al has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America® in corporate law and named one of the Dealmakers of the Year by the Daily Business Review. Al practices securities law and mergers and acquisitions and regularly represents public and private companies in corporate finance transactions, including equity and debt offerings, venture capital financing and commercial lending.
Al has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions with public and private companies in industries ranging from media and telecommunications to hedge funds and private equity. He also advises public companies on corporate governance issues, executive compensation issues and compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act of 2002.
Al is a frequent lecturer on securities and corporate law and has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Miami Lighthouse for the Blind, the Business Volunteers for the Arts, the United Way Allocation Committee and the Securities Committee of the Florida Bar.
- Duke University, J.D., with distinction, 1981
- St. Lawrence University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1978
Professional and Civic
- Board of Directors, Miami Lighthouse for the Blind
- Board of Directors, Business Volunteers for the Arts
- United Way Allocation Committee
- Securities Committee, The Florida Bar
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- The Dealmakers of the Year, Daily Business Review, 2010