Jeffrey S. Elkins is a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Construction Litigation Practice Group. Jeff focuses his practice on commercial and construction litigation.
Jeff has experience representing clients in construction law and commercial litigation issues throughout the State of Florida. He has achieved successful results for clients in jury and non-jury trials in federal and state court at the trial and appellate levels and in various arbitration proceedings.
Jeff counsels developers, contractors, material suppliers, design professionals, and sureties in a litany of construction disputes, including claims involving construction defects, design errors and omissions, delay claims, construction lien issues, bond claims, professional negligence and licensure, building code and Americans with Disabilities Act violations, contract disputes, personal injuries, and wrongful death.
Jeff also assists corporations and individuals in a broad range of disputes involving complex commercial litigation, contract disputes, partnership disputes, real estate litigation, land use litigation, lender liability, commercial and residential landlord/tenant litigation, commercial and consumer collections, mortgage and lien foreclosures, insurance disputes, and tax issues.
Jeff has also been a speaker at numerous seminars on construction litigation and commercial litigation.
Professional and Community Involvement
Jeff is involved in numerous bar association activities, including The Florida Bar Construction Law Committee, the Legislative Subcommittee of The Florida Bar Construction Law Committee, and the Business Law Committee of the Orange County Bar Association.
He also takes an active role in a variety of charitable and community organizations in Central Florida. Jeff is currently on the Board of Directors for the Muscular Dystrophy Association Leadership Advisory Board, and is the Co-Chair of the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s Toast to Life Gala. He previously served on the local board of Junior Achievement, and on the board of the Young Lawyers Section of the Orange County Bar Association.
- Florida State University College of Law, cum laude, J.D. 2007
- Florida State University College of Business, B.S., Finance, 2004
- All Florida State Courts
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
Professional and Civic
- Orange County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- Chair, An Afternoon at the State Courthouse
- Chair, Law Clerk Liaison Committee
- Legal Aid Society of the Orange County Bar Association
- Muscular Dystrophy Association of Central Florida
- Member, Central Florida Board of Directors
- Co-Chair, Toast To Life Gala
- Leadership Orlando Class 95, Graduate
News & Insights
- “Taking Depositions (Advanced CLE),” December 12, 2013
- “The Use of Technology During Litigation: From Depositions to Trial,” October 12, 2013
- “Notice to Owner Pitfalls and Lien Law,” September 12, 2012
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Article, Forbes, Orlando, 3.9.21
- Article, 6.8.17
- Article, 6.9.16
- Author, “What to Know about E-Service and the Future of E-Filing," Orange County Bar Briefs
- Author, “E-Discovery: The New Frontier of Discovery and What You Need to Know,” Orange County Bar Briefs
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2023