Peter A. Lagonowicz is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is Co-Chair of the Tax & International Law Practice Group. He is also Chair of the firm’s Latin America Practice Group.
Peter regularly represents high net worth private clients, family offices, funds and other business entities with assets and investments in and outside the United States. He has advised both U.S. and international clients on a wide variety of domestic and cross-border commercial transactions, including:
- wealth preservation trusts and succession planning;
- structuring for the purchase and sale of U.S. real estate;
- corporate acquisitions and reorganizations;
- tax controversy and compliance;
- voluntary disclosures; and,
- other domestic and international financial transactions.
Peter has also advised foreign and U.S. financial institutions on federal withholding tax obligations and information reporting requirements, including under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Common Reporting Standard (CRS) developed by the OECD.
In 2012, Peter was honored by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as one of the “40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers” in Miami. Prior to joining Shutts, he was an international tax and estate planning attorney at a boutique international law firm in Miami.
- University of Miami, LL.M., Taxation, 2004
- Florida State University, J.D., 2003
- Boston College, B.A., Philosophy, 1999
- United States Tax Court
News & Insights
- Panelist, “Regulatory Updates: FATCA and CRS,” SunTrust International Wealth Conference, February 2016
News & Speaking Engagements
- Event, 11.5.20
- Media Mention, The Legal 500, 10.16.20
- Article, 2.22.16