Peter A. Rahaghi is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is Co-Chair of the Financial Services Practice Group.
Peter is recognized by Chambers USA as one of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Peter routinely represents domestic and international banks, broker-dealers and investment advisory firms in a wide variety of transactions, regulatory and corporate matters. Peter has extensive experience advising clients on complex financing and merger and acquisition transactions, as well as representing investor groups in establishing regulated financial institutions in the United States. Peter also has extensive experience structuring and documenting investment products and services, and advising banks, broker-deals and investment advisers on regulatory compliance matters.
In the course of his commercial finance practice, Peter has represented industry participants such as administrative agents, syndicate lenders, and secondary market participants, in all aspects of asset-based and leveraged financings, including syndicated credit facilities, bilateral facilities, multi-seller commercial paper conduit transactions, and par and distressed secondary market transactions. Peter has significant experience in the preparation, negotiation and review of financing transaction documents, including providing advice and analysis regarding syndicated credit facilities, security documents, inter-creditor arrangements and other financing documentation. Peter’s practice includes bespoke financings for special situations and esoteric assets, including low income housing tax credits (LIHTCs), unique forms of healthcare receivables, merchant cash advances, and pools of U.S. Small Business Administration loans.
Peter also has significant experience in the fund finance sector, including establishing subscription loan facilities made to private funds secured by the unfunded capital commitments of the fund’s equity investors, NAV facilities, hybrid facilities and unencumbered asset pool facilities.
In this regard, Peter’s notable experience includes representation of the following:
- a distressed Florida state-chartered bank, together with its captive investment adviser and broker-dealer, in its sale to a leading financial institution;
- global financial institutions in the establishment of numerous syndicated subscription line financing facilities;
- a global financial institution in the establishment of a financing facility for a portfolio of LITHCs;
- several national financial institutions, in the establishment of financing facilities for the origination of merchant cash advances;
- several global financial institutions in regards to the structure and design of their employee interaction models throughout Latin America in order to comply with applicable United States registration and compliance regulations;
- financial institutions in connection with accessing governmental lending programs, especially in times of market stress, including the Emergency Capital Investment Program, the Paycheck Protection Program Liquidity Facility, the Commercial Paper Funding Facility, and the Federal Reserve Discount Window, among others;
- private fund sponsors in the establishment, documentation, operation, financing, and asset acquisition activities, and wind-down of private equity funds;
- a global financial institution in the establishment of redemption loan facilities to a complex of open-end funds;
- an investment banking firm in a multi-jurisdictional cross-border financing facility to a global food and beverage ingredient conglomerate;
- an investment banking firm in the development and purchase of bespoke preferred share products issued by registered closed-end funds for leverage financing purposes; and
- a major private investment group in early round investment in a health-care startup, including a revolving facility and equity investment.
Peter also advises financial institutions, investment funds and managers in connection with a variety of other transactions, financings and general corporate matters.
- Boston College Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2006
- Order of the Coif
- Boston College, B.A., English and History, 2003
- New York
News & Insights
- Panel Speaker, “The AAA Conundrum, What Would Break the Impasse?” Opal Financial CLO Summit, December 8-10, 2013, St. Regis Hotel Monarch Beach, Dana Point, California
- Co-author, "Gary Gensler Named SEC Chief: An Aggressive Regulator Returns to Washington," Daily Business Review (February 9, 2021)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 7.25.23
- Recognition, Chambers and Partners, 6.5.23
- Media Mention, 12.8.21
- Article, Daily Business Review, 2.10.21
- Article, 2.1.16