Ryan McCarthy is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Class Action and Mass Litigation practice group.
Ryan has represented clients in all aspects of federal and state trials, mediations, appeals, and arbitrations, including financial institutions.
He previously was a Judicial Intern at the Fourth District Court of Appeal.
Ryan has been published on a wide-range of topics, including best practices for attorneys. He has been recognized by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation as an Outstanding Lawyer of South Florida, and he remains active with the University of Miami School of Law and University of Florida, where he became a member of Florida Blue Key.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 2013
- Dean’s Merit Scholarship
- Sherwood Blue Memorial Scholarship
- University of Miami, Music Business and Entertainment Industries, M.M., 2013
- University of Florida, B.A., Political Science, 2009
- Bright Futures Scholarship
- Florida Blue Key
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- The Florida Bar’s Unlicensed Practice of Law Circuit Committee, Fifteenth Circuit UPL Committee "A"
- University of Miami School of Law Young Alumni Committee
- Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division, 2013 – present
- American Bar Association, 2013 – present
News & Insights
- Presenter, “Mediation Overview,” Florida Inn of Court, February 2019
- Co-Author, "Learning the Ropes on Client Cultivation to Establish Long-Term Relationships,"Daily Business Review, October 4, 2021
- Author, "Written Advocacy in the Courtroom," Daily Business Review, June 2020
- Author, “Lessons for an Associate,” Dade County Bar Association Bulletin
- Co-Author, “Initial Client Interview, Retainer Agreements, Etc.,” 26th Annual Nuts & Bolts of Family Law, December 2018
- Co-Author, “Ethics and Professionalism,” Kidside Nuts & Bolts CLE, November 2018
- Author, “Mastering Motion Calendar Hearings,” Dade County Bar Association Bulletin, February 2018
- Co-Author, “Prenuptial Pitfalls,” American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Marital Law Review Course, 2017
- Co-Author, “Recent Developments in Admiralty and Maritime Law,” Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Law Journal, 2012, 2016
- Author, “Working Conditions in Cruise Ships,” Berklee College of Music, Music Business Journal, 2013
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 1.31.23
- Firm News, 1.31.22
- Article, 10.4.21
- Firm News, 8.7.20
- Article, Daily Business Review, South Florida, 6.22.20
- Ryan McCarthy Authors Article in the January 2020 Edition of the Dade County Bar Association BulletinArticle, 1.21.20