Steven M. Ebner is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP. He serves as Co-Chair of the firm's Business Litigation Practice Group. Steven previously served two terms as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and was also the Managing Partner of the Miami office from 2011–2015.
A seasoned trial lawyer, Steven has litigated a broad range of cases throughout his career in public service and private practice. He is a former Senior Counsel for the City of New York and has been recognized among the Best Lawyers in America® in commercial litigation, as a “Legal Leader” by Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, and listed as a "Power Leader" and "Top Lawyer" by the South Florida Business Journal.
Steven regularly represents a wide variety of clients, including financial institutions, real estate developers, property owners, general contractors, and other Fortune 500 companies in diverse and complex business disputes. He routinely advises clients involved in commercial disputes, insurance litigation, product liability, and trust and estate litigation.
Steven has represented high profile individuals such as Juan Gabriel, the most prolific and beloved singer-songwriter in the history of Mexico, and academic institutions, including Harvard University.
Prior to joining Shutts, Steven practiced in the New York City office of a large Northeast law firm, where he handled a variety of litigation matters, including those involving breach of contract, health care fraud, product liability, employment and labor law, subrogation, personal injury, and real estate litigation. He represented clients such as financial institutions, equipment manufacturers, real estate developers, insurance companies, health care providers, labor unions, and franchisers.
Steven began his legal career as an Assistant Corporation Counsel with the New York City Law Department, where he was involved in all phases of civil litigation. Shortly thereafter, Steven was promoted to Senior Counsel and was regularly defending New York City in significant trials in which millions of dollars were at stake. During his tenure, Steven was lead counsel in over 30 jury trials. Several of these cases were published in the New York Jury Verdict Reporter, and two cases were reported on the front page of the New York Law Journal.
Steven serves as the Associate Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Hebrew Academy of Greater Miami. He has also served as the Vice-President of Beth Israel Congregation and as a board member of the Jewish Community Center of Miami Beach.
Steven was appointed to the Florida Bar Grievance Committee for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit. He was also nominated to and serves on the Judicial Awards Selection Committee for the Dade County Bar Association. Steven has testified as an expert witness in attorney fee disputes and has spoken at various legal conferences.
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 1997
- Richardson Merit Scholarship (a three-year academic scholarship)
- Moot Court Honor Society
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., Economics/Philosophy, 1994
- Regents Academic Scholarship
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
Professional and Civic
- Member, Florida Bar Grievance Committee for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit
- Member, Dade County Bar Association Judicial Awards Selection Committee
- Associate Chairman of the Board of Directors, Hebrew Academy of Greater Miami
- Former Vice President, Beth Israel Congregation
- Former Board Member, Jewish Community Center of Miami Beach
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 8.17.23
- Firm News, 11.10.22
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Speaking Engagement, 3.3.22
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Recognition, South Florida Legal Guide, 4.6.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Recognition, 4.9.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Article, 2.25.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Recognition, 1.17.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Recognition, 6.28.15
- South Florida Legal Guide recognized Shutts & Bowen as a Top Law Firm, and named these 21 Shutts & Bowen lawyers as 2015 Top Lawyers.2.9.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
- South Florida Business Journal
- "Power Leader," 2014
- "Up & Comers," 2012, 2013
- “Up & Comers,” Award finalist, 2006
- South Florida Legal Guide
- "Top Lawyer," 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Florida Trend Magazine's Legal Elite, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2011, 2012, 2013