Timothy E. Monaghan is a Partner in the West Palm Beach office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Health Care Practice Group.
Tim has practiced health law for over thirty (30) years and represents healthcare providers in a wide range of business transactions and regulatory matters. He holds a Certification in Healthcare Compliance by the Health Care Compliance Association and he is a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator. He is experienced in resolving disputes between governmental and commercial insurance payers and healthcare providers, including allegations of false and excessive billing and issues relating to medical necessity. He is knowledgeable in health care facility and professional licensure matters, as well as other healthcare regulatory matters.
His clients include hospitals, physicians and physician group practices. He has significant experience in the buying and selling of medical practices and other healthcare businesses, as well as practice formation, shareholder agreements and physician employment agreements. Tim represents clients in matters involving healthcare regulatory agencies, such as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration and the Florida Department of Health.
Tim earned an M.B.A. from Florida State University while working for the Florida Senate Appropriations Committee, Subcommittee on Health and Rehabilitative Services, Corrections and the Judiciary. Then, prior to entering law school, Tim represented the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services before the Florida Legislature for five (5) years. During that time, he drafted and negotiated passage of complete rewrites of seven (7) entire chapters of Florida healthcare law, including statutes licensing hospitals, nursing homes, emergency medical services, clinical laboratories and pharmaceutical manufacturing. Later, while attending the Florida State University, College of Law, he lobbied for private healthcare businesses.
Also, while in law school, Tim served as a legal intern to Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Parker Lee McDonald. He taught health care law as an Adjunct Professor in the Health Administration program of the College of Business, Florida Atlantic University. He also served as an instructor for the Palm Beach County Medical Society and the Broward County Medical Association, in conjunction with the FAU Certificate Program in Medical Business Management.
- Florida State University, J.D., with honors, 1984
- Florida State University, M.B.A., 1979
- Florida Atlantic University, B.A., Political Science, 1977
Professional and Civic
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Certification in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)
- The Florida Bar, Health Law Section
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator
- Past Chair, The Health Network of the Palm Beaches, Inc.
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Palm Beach County Health Facilities Authority
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Palm Beach County Medical Society Services
- Past Attorney and Member, Bethesda Hospital Foundation
- Member, Bethesda Hospital Benefactor's Pavilion
- Past Member, Physician Viability Task Force, Palm Beach County Medical Association
- Former Assistant Scout Master, Troop 304, Boy Scouts of America
- Past Chair, Gulfstream Goodwill Industries, Inc.
News & Insights
- "Expect Surprises in the No Surprises Act!," Webinar presented by Acevedo Consulting Incorporated and Shutts & Bowen LLP (May 20, 2022)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, 9.1.22
- Speaking Engagement, 5.19.22
- Recognition, 1.4.22
- Recognition, Palm Beach Illustrated, 9.22.21