Peter H. Levitt is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is Co-Chair of the International Arbitration and Litigation Practice Group.
Peter’s broad-based practice involves representing financial institutions, property owners and investors in a wide variety of complex bankruptcy and commercial disputes, many of which involve litigation in multiple jurisdictions. His primary expertise is in bankruptcy, insolvency and real estate law with an emphasis on litigation arising in these contexts. Peter has tried numerous cases in federal and state courts. He also has substantial appellate experience, having argued significant cases in multiple federal and state jurisdictions.
During law school at Columbia University, Peter was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and the Research and Writing Editor of the Columbia Human Rights Law Review. He received his B.A., with highest honors, from Binghamton University and is a member of Phi Beta Kappa.
Prior to joining Shutts, Peter practiced law in New York with Chadbourne & Parke. He continues to be admitted to practice in New York.
Peter's significant engagements have included:
- representing a large international commercial insurer in numerous Florida actions involving enforcement of foreign country judgments;
- representing a European trust in transnational commercial and probate litigation;
- representing one of the largest national banks in multi-district lender liability litigation arising from involuntary bankruptcy proceedings;
- representing a national airline in bankruptcy litigation arising from the breach of a complex joint venture agreement;
- representing banking regulators in litigation arising from bank failures and receiverships;
- representing environmental regulators in bankruptcy and litigation matters involving the protection of wetlands; and,
- representing numerous national and regional lenders in foreclosure, loan workout and bankruptcy matters involving major commercial and real estate loans.
- Columbia University Law School, J.D., 1982
- Binghamton University, B.A., with highest honors
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Firm News, 2.24.22
- Shutts Partners Douglas Kramer and Peter Levitt Secure Victory for Giorgio Armani as Judge Sends Multimillion-Dollar Furniture Deal Dispute to Arbitration in Italy, Law360 ReportsArticle, Law360, 8.31.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Article, 12.11.17
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers - Business/Complex Litigation, 2017
- Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights, Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023