Government enforcement by state and federal agencies has increased and it is becoming more common for officials to issue subpoenas and conduct investigations. With so many laws and regulations governing businesses, especially in the medical profession and the banking and securities industries, it is not difficult to make a misstep and fail to comply with those rules. If that happens, it is best to retain lawyers who’ve worked on both sides of the legal system.
Our knowledgeable and experienced attorneys will defend you in court, guide you through a grand jury or other investigation, and help you navigate past a complex maze of statutes, rules and regulations.
Our attorneys have served the legal profession in many capacities, including as federal and state prosecutors with extensive trial experience. Due to our expertise in complex commercial litigation and our close relationships with regulators and investigators, we’re skilled at negotiating the resolution of legal problems.
We stay informed of the many changes and trends in the law and are often asked to share our knowledge. Our attorneys regularly participate as panelists in seminars and write articles on white-collar criminal matters and internal corporate investigations.
Our lawyers defend banks in lawsuits brought by customers alleging violations of financial privacy in connection with reporting of suspicious activity. We are experienced in working with international institutions, including having represented a foreign bank against allegations of violating the Right to Financial Privacy Act and the Electronic Communications Privacy Act.
White Collar Crime
Our attorneys understand U.S. anti-money laundering laws and regulations and help clients avoid pitfalls and counsel them when problems occur. We frequently collaborate with financial services clients in responding to foreign and domestic legal procedures, including grand jury investigations and document subpoena responses. We regularly advise on:
- the Bank Secrecy Act
- regulatory examination issues
- wire transfer monitoring
- necessary internal controls for financial institutions
- “know your customer” and due diligence procedures
- suspicious activity reporting
- privacy issues
We also represent individuals and organizations who are facing:
- federal criminal tax offenses
- SEC investigations
- healthcare fraud and abuse violations
- antitrust violations
- public corruption investigations
News & Insights
- Firm News, Law360, 9.2.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 6.3.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Recognition, 2.22.19
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Recognition, 6.23.16
- Article, 6.9.16