Erik Matheney is a partner in the Tampa office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated litigator, Erik has been named one of the Best Lawyers in America® in commercial litigation, white-collar criminal defense and personal injury litigation. He focuses on governmental compliance and complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts. He has represented clients in a wide variety of commercial disputes, including claims involving securities fraud, breach of contract, class actions, partnership disputes, trade secrets, common law fraud, and commercial torts.
Erik has also represented clients in white-collar criminal matters, including defending qui tam actions, and addressing federal and state regulatory compliance issues. Prior to joining the firm, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Florida.
Erik has tried over 70 jury trials, and has been involved in arbitration and substantive evidentiary hearings matters, such as:
- In 2004, successfully defending a health information service provider in a trade secret and civil fraud dispute.
- In 2009, successfully representing an American automotive manufacturer before the American Arbitration Association.
- In 2012, successfully representing a national IT company in a multiple week arbitration.
- In 2014, successfully representing a national product manufacturer in a multiple week trial in federal court.
Active in professional and Bar-related activities, Erik serves as Chair of the Middle District of Florida Grievance Committee, and is a board member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association and the Tampa Bay chapter of the Federal Bar Association. He is a member of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel. Erik also serves as a board member of his church and counsel for the Western Florida Division of the Church of God in Christ.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1993
- Howard University, B.A., 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit - Lawyers Advisory Committee, 2021
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 8.17.23
- Recognition, 6.26.23
- Firm News, 3.1.23
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Firm News, 6.28.22
- Recognition, 6.27.22
- Firm News, 3.2.22
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Recognition, Super Lawyers, 6.24.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Recognition, 6.23.16
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rated, 4.8 out of 5.0
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Criminal Defense: White Collar, Personal Injury Litigation—Defendants, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2015, 2016
- Florida Super Lawyers, General Litigation, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023