René Gonzalez-LLorens is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Labor & Employment Practice Group and the firm’s Diversity Committee.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated attorney, René has been recognized among the Best Lawyers in America® in Employment Law since 2013 and by Florida Super Lawyer Magazine since 2010. René has over 28 years of experience representing domestic and international businesses on labor and employment matters, as well as international commercial disputes.
René represents his clients before administrative agencies, state and federal courts, appellate courts, and the U.S. Supreme Court, in an array of matters including:
- Sexual harassment;
- Discrimination and retaliation based on race, national origin, gender, religion, age, or disability;
- Housing discrimination;
- Whistle-blowing statutes;
- Restrictive covenant lawsuits involving Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation provisions;
- Wage and hour lawsuits under the Fair Labor Standards Act; and
- Accessibility lawsuits under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act and related statutes.
Outside of the courtroom, René provides clients with solutions to employment-related issues, advises on how to avoid or minimize litigation, drafts employment contracts, and offers day-to-day advice on employee investigations, discipline, discharge, and other management concerns. In addition, he represents clients on multi-million commercial disputes in various forums.
Professional and Community Involvement
René is actively involved in the community and pro bono projects. Since 2009, he has been legal counsel to the Miami Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired, which is the oldest and largest private agency in Florida that serves people of all ages who are blind or visually impaired. Since 2008, a Miami-Dade County Commissioner has appointed René to serve on the Miami-Dade County Commission on Human Rights, the county's advisory board responsible for enforcing Miami-Dade County's employment and housing rights ordinances. René also provides pro bono advice to Belen Jesuit Preparatory School. In addition, René has published and presented on contemporary employment law issues.
- Obtained jury verdict for employer before Florida state court involving over half-a-million dollars in commissions.
- Successfully defended and obtained judgment for an international quick service restaurant franchisor in a race discrimination/retaliation matter before the U.S. District Court, Court of Appeals, and U.S. Supreme Court (petition for writ).
- Successfully defended and dismissed all claims against a Fortune 500 retailer involving disability and pregnancy discrimination claims before the U.S. District Court, Court of Appeals, and U.S. Supreme Court (petition for writ).
- Prevailed against various U.S. airlines and obtained release of over $11 million of funds held by the United States Department of Transportation for a foreign airline.
- Successfully defended and obtained dismissal of all claims against a Fortune 500 telecommunication company and a supervisor involving battery and vicarious liability claims.
- Successfully litigated and resolved an FLSA collective action involving overtime pay sought to be certified by employees against a national radio broadcast network.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1993
- Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government, Master’s in Public Policy, 1990
- Cornell University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1988
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional and Civic
- Legal Counsel, Miami Lighthouse for the Blind, 2009—Present
- Board Member, Miami-Dade County Commission on Human Rights, 2008—Present
- Member, Florida Academy of Management Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association
News & Insights
- Panelist, Anti-Harassment Awareness Training provided to Miami-Dade County advisory board members, 2018
- Panelist, Contemporary Issues in Employment Law, Employment and Labor Law Society, Florida International University, March 2015
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 8.17.23
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Recognition, 6.27.22
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Recognition, Super Lawyers, 6.24.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Event, 11.10.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Article, 11.3.11
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Employment Law, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Employment Law-Management, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
- Florida Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor Law, 2010-2022