Our attorneys are experienced in representing and counseling private and public sector employers across numerous industries on federal and state labor, employment, safety and immigration laws.
Our team works proactively to handle issues before they become problems. And if they do become problems, we can take a matter successfully through the litigation process, keeping your business concerns paramount.
We are dedicated to building long-term relationships with our clients and are committed to efficiency. Our partners are involved in every aspect of your matter and we offer our expertise and client service through strategic planning and budgeting.
We want to fully understand your business. When faced with labor and employment issues, we consider and analyze the implications for your company’s operations. As a full-service law firm, we have the resources to help in virtually every legal area.
Litigation and Administrative
We represent national and local clients of all different sizes and in many jurisdictions, and frequently work with other law firms as their Florida-based counsel. Our team defends management in federal and state court lawsuits such as the following matters:
- Employment discrimination and retaliation claims of all types;
- Family and Medical Leave Act and related matters;
- Minimum wage and overtime compensation;
- Employment contracts, non-competition, non-solicitation and commission agreements and related disputes;
- Employment-related torts, such as negligent retention/hiring claims, and privacy matters;
- Disability issues under the Americans with Disabilities Act and other state and local laws, including those involving access to public accommodations;
- Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA); and
- Reductions-in-force, including WARN Act.
We also handle investigations and audits by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Florida Commission on Human Relations, the U.S. Department of Labor, and other administrative agencies.
We also counsel clients in union elections and unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board. In addition, we represent employers involved in arbitration, mediation, or other alternate dispute resolution forums.
Advice and Counseling
We provide legal advice on hiring, terminations, discipline, investigations, reorganizations, and other human resources matters that are tailored to your specific business needs. We can advise you on every aspect of the employment relationship. We draft, update and review handbooks and policies and make sure they comply with the changes in law in areas such as equal employment opportunity, leave, drug testing, accommodation of disabilities, privacy and social media, compensation and benefits.
We also advise clients on union issues, including assisting clients in responding to union organizing drives.
In the public arena, we represent cities, counties, and other public employers throughout Florida. We also handle public employment issues under the United States Constitution and Florida law, including qualified immunity for public officials.
Our goal is to provide our clients with the legal tools they need to create a workplace that best utilizes a business’s most valuable asset – its employees.
Our group serves clients in many industries, including:
- Retail department stores
- Hotels and restaurants
- Entertainment and hospitality
- Health care
- Cruise lines
- Amusement parks
- Employee leasing
- Information technology
We work diligently to help you solve your labor and employment problems efficiently and effectively.
News & Insights
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 6.3.20
- Article, 4.24.20
- Webinar, 4.7.20
- Event, 11.12.19
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Article, 4.3.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 1.17.17
- Webinar, 10.3.16
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.28.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Article, 9.12.15
- Article, 9.12.15
- Article, 11.3.11
- Florida Labor and Employment Law Blog, 6.17.20
- Florida Labor and Employment Law Blog, 4.28.20
- Florida Labor and Employment Law Blog, 4.22.20
- Florida Labor and Employment Law Blog, 4.14.20
- Florida Labor and Employment Law Blog, 3.19.20