Suzanne M. Driscoll is a partner in the Government Law Practice Group at Shutts & Bowen LLP. She received her B.A. in Sociology in 1986 and her Juris Doctorate in 1989, both from the University of Miami. Suzanne is a Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated 5.0 litigator whose experience includes more than 50 jury trials.
Since 1994, Suzanne’s practice has focused almost exclusively in the area of eminent domain. From 1994 through 1997, she served as an Assistant State Attorney General where she served as trial counsel for the Florida Department of Transportation, District Four. In 1997, Suzanne went in-house with the Florida Department of Transportation as a Senior Attorney.
Since 1998, Suzanne has been in private practice with the Law Firm of Shutts & Bowen LLP where she has represented a host of public and private clients in condemnation matters. In addition to the Florida Department of Transportation, her more recent governmental clients include the Central Florida Expressway Authority and Osceola County. She and her partners recently completed the acquisition of more than 600 property interests necessary for the construction of the 25 mile Wekiva Parkway through Orange and Lake Counties. Her private client list includes national drug and restaurant chains as well as small privately owned businesses.
In addition to her trial expertise, Suzanne is also experienced in appellate work. She has both defended and prosecuted appeals in condemnation cases.
Community and Professional Involvement
Suzanne has a long history of mentoring students and young lawyers. For more than 5 years, she served as the Mock Trial and Moot Court “coach” for Fort Lauderdale High School’s Law Magnet Program. More than 10 of her former students are either in law school or have graduated and become attorneys. She recently served on the Board of Directors for HANDY (Helping Abused Neglected Disadvantaged Youth) where she chaired the Scholars’ Committee raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for college scholarships for students in foster care.
She is a long time member of the Florida Bar’s Eminent Domain Committee and the Association of Eminent Domain Professionals. She is also a member of the Broward County and Orange County Bar Associations.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1989
- University of Miami, B.A., Sociology, 1986
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Mediator
- Florida Bar Association, Eminent Domain Committee
- Association of Eminent Domain Professionals
- Broward County Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
News & Insights
- Speaker, Continuing Legal Education (CLE) International
News & Speaking Engagements
- Quoted in Miami New Times article: “Keys residents say FDOT is stealing their land and threatening their unique vibe,” August 12, 2015
- Quoted in Keys News article: “Business owner files suit over road dispute,” March 4, 2015
- Quoted in The Florida Bar News article: “Lawyer-run program for foster children alters lives,” September 1, 2014