Jennifer Slone Tobin is a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen, where she is Co-Chair of the Real Estate Practice Group. She is Florida Bar Board Certified in Real Estate Law.
Jennifer has a diverse real estate practice. She represents developers in the traditional areas of acquisition, development, permitting and financing of vacant, rehabilitation and operating properties. Her developer representation has included most of the traditional financing providers, including traditional bank loans, CMBS-style loans, insurance company loans, and full-recourse and non-recourse debt. She also assists developers with the negotiation of joint venture agreements with equity investors, including state retirement funds, venture capital companies and large investment firms. Her developer side practice also includes advice on construction contracts and other similar agreements with consultants for new development and rehabilitation projects.
She also represents lenders, primarily loans secured by real property, but also with traditional business lending. Having practiced in the lending arena from the beginning of her transactional practice, she has also been involved in loan workouts, including multiple complex loan portfolio workouts during the recent financial downturn. Jennifer and Steven Zucker of the firm’s Governmental Law – Public Finance and Eminent Domain group also have teamed together on multiple occasions to represent lenders in connection with low income housing bonds, which have included many direct bond purchases by lenders.
Her diverse practice also involves representing equity providers in the placement of capital in multiple types of investments, including real estate, restaurants, hotel and timber assets, as well as with working capital loans to individuals with varied security. In these representations Jennifer collaborates with other firm lawyers, including Al Smith of the firm’s securities group, and with Frank Rodriguez and Mark Stevenson of the firm’s tax group.
Jennifer is also very active in a variety of Orlando charitable and community organizations. She has served multiple years on the Municipal Planning Board of the City of Orlando, where she served as its chair from 2013–2015. She serves as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida’s 2016 Board Chair. She is also on the Executive Council of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section of the Florida Bar, and is currently the Chair of the Real Property Certification Review Course and a member of the Legislative Update committee.
Jennifer is a long time resident of Central Florida, and currently resides in College Park with her husband and son.
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1996
- University of Florida, B.S., cum laude, Political Science, 1992
Professional and Civic
- Vice Chair (2014 and 2015) and Board Chair (2016), Boys and Girls Club of Central Florida
- Chair, Municipal Planning Board, City of Orlando (2013-2015)
- Four Time Co-Chair of Celebrate the Children, Boys and Girls Club of Central Florida (over $1,000,000 raised in 2015)
- Chair of the Real Estate Certification Review Course for the Real Property, Probate and Trust Section of The Florida Bar (2015, 2016)
- Executive Council Member, Real Property Probate and Trust Section of the Florida Bar (since 2010)
- Past Chair, Development Review Committee of the Downtown Development Board
- Past President, Board of Directors, Downtown Orlando Partnership
News & Insights
- Speaker, Landlord & Tenant, Real Estate Certification Review Course, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Speaker, Inspection Periods& Due Diligence, Flood Law Update, Building A Better Contract Seminar for the Florida Bar, May 2014
- Speaker, Property Due Diligence, Techniques & Tactics, Real Property Probate & Trust Law Section, Commercial Real Estate Committee Presentation, September 2013
News & Speaking Engagements
- Event, 1.21.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Recognition, 5.13.20
- Recognition, Chambers & Partners, 4.23.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Article, 5.3.18
- Article, 4.3.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 5.26.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Recognition, 5.27.16
- Recognition, 6.25.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Real Estate, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Orlando Magazine, “The Best Lawyers in Orlando,” 2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2009, 2010
- Florida Real Estate Journal, Top 20 Women in Commercial Real Estate, 2007
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, Up and Comer, 2005