Stefan Rubin is a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Corporate Practice Group.
A Florida Certified Public Accountant and Martindale-Hubbell AV® attorney, Stefan concentrates his practice in general corporate representation, securities, mergers and acquisitions, and debt and equity financing. Stefan assists clients in structuring, negotiating and documenting their business transactions. He regularly helps clients negotiate shareholders agreements, LLC operating agreements, partnership agreements and joint venture agreements. He assists clients with business issues, from strategic business relationships and distribution arrangements to employment, confidentiality, noncompetition and intellectual property licensing. He also assists buyers and sellers in the disposition of businesses, and facilitates small and mid-cap companies with obtaining debt and private placements of equity in the U.S. and internationally.
Professional and Community Involvement
Stefan has been an active member of The Florida Bar’s Business Law Section (BLS), and serves on the Section’s Executive Council. Within the BLS, he is most involved in the Corporations, Securities & Financial Services (CSFS) Committee, which has been involved in every major change to Florida’s business entity statutes for over 20 years. He served as Chair of the CSFS Committee four times in his career. His projects have included numerous revisions to Florida’s corporate, LLC, partnership and not-for-profit corporation statutes. He also serves on the BLS Legislative Committee, where he has been asked to testify before committees of the Florida House and Senate on BLS legislative revisions. He has also served as Chair of the BLS Continuing Legal Education (CLE) Committee and Vice-Chair of its FICPA Liaison Committee.
He is also a Past President of ACG Orlando, the premier global association for professionals involved in corporate growth, mergers and acquisitions. Stefan has been an active board member and executive officer of ACG Orlando for over 10 years.
For several years, Stefan served as volunteer outside general counsel to Winterfest, Inc., the not-for-profit corporation responsible for the annual Winterfest Boat Parade in Fort Lauderdale, Florida which is the largest one-day live audience event in the State of Florida and the seventh largest one-day spectator event in the country, and continues to serve on its advisory board. He's also a former member of the Secured Lenders of South Florida Association, the Broward Alliance Film & Television Commission, and the Broward County School Board's Technology Advisory Committee.
While in law school, Stefan was Galleys Editor of The Florida Law Review and received several awards for his contributions to the journal.
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., with honors
- University of Florida, M.S., Accounting, with honors
- University of Florida, B.S., Accounting, with highest honors
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Advisory Board Council of the Small Business Development Center at the University of Central Florida
- Advisory Board Council of the Small Business Development Center at Seminole State University
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG), Orlando Chapter, Board of Directors and Executive Officer
- Leadership Orlando
- Metro Orlando Economic Development Council
- National Association of Dealer Counsel
- Orange County Bar Association
- Seminole County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar, Business Law Section
- Executive Council
- Past Chair, Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Past Vice Chair, FICPA Liaison Committee
- Chair, multiple years, Corporations, Securities & Financial Services Committee
- Former Member, BioOrlando
- Catholic Charities of Central Florida (Former Director)
- Winterfest Boat Parade (Former Director)
News & Insights
- “The Inc is Finally Dry: The Update and Modernization of the Florida Business Corporation Act,” Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education (live & webinar)
- "Choosing a Business Entity," Florida Bar Practice Resource Institute
- “National Trends in Limited Liability Companies (LLCs),” AutoCPA Group conference
- "Selling Your Business," Plan Your Exit Seminar, sponsored by Bankers Advocate
- "Best Practices When Dealing with Securities & Investments", EB-5 Foreign Investor Seminar
- "Recent Revisions to Florida's Not-for-Profit Corporations Act" Continuing Legal Education, The Florida Bar Business Law Section
- "Top 10 Things You Need to Know about Florida's New LLC Act," webinar for The Florida Bar General Practice, Solo & Small Firm Section
- "Gimme Shelter: Business Formation and Tax Considerations for Small Business Owners" (San Francisco, CA)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Article, 9.12.15
- Are You Ready For Florida's New LLC Law?
- Is Your LLC Ready for Change in State Law?
- New Florida Limited Partnership Act and Other Business Laws
- Why LLCs are the Entity Du Jour for Small Business Owners
- Tort Reform: A Call for Florida to Scale Back its Independent Tort for the Spoliation of Evidence
- Corporate Law: Misappropriation Theory of Liability Upheld for Rule 10b-5 Criminal Convictions
- i4 Business, "Executive Profile - Stefan Rubin" (April 2016)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rated
- Recognized by Orlando Family Magazine as one of 75 "Awesome Attorneys" in Corporate Law, 2016
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, selected for inclusion 2010
- Florida Super Lawyers, selected for inclusion as a Rising Star, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Recognized by Orlando Business Journal as being among the "Best of the Bar" in Central Florida, 2007