Shutts & Bowen’s commercial leasing practice involves the representation of landlords and tenants in a wide variety of transactions. Our full-service team of leasing attorneys have extensive experience in office, retail, industrial, multifamily and mixed-use properties, leasing millions of square feet of space throughout the U.S. and in every major market in Florida.
The commercial leasing attorneys at Shutts comprise one of the largest office building leasing practices in the State of Florida. In addition to a substantial retail leasing practice, our attorneys represent more than 80 office buildings, comprising over 14.5 million square feet.
Arthur J. Menor, Chairman of Shutts & Bowen’s real estate leasing practice group, has been at the forefront of the commercial real estate arena for more than 40 years. Widely regarded as one of the preeminent commercial leasing attorneys in Florida, Art leads our Commercial Leasing Practice Group on all manner of leasing projects.
The practice group is well-known for its development of a document assembly software system and related forms and procedures to deliver cost-effective preparation of high-quality commercial leases and related documents (such as amendments, assignment and sublease consents, lien agreements and termination agreements), including an extensive library of commonly-used alternate lease provisions which enable our attorneys to quickly and efficiently meet our clients’ needs.
The practice group also utilizes shorter office and retail lease forms which – while maintaining robust landlord protections – are less expensive, easier and quicker to negotiate than traditional “long form” landlord leases, and have been met with greater acceptance by tenants and brokers.
Our commercial leasing attorneys regularly work in tandem with complementary practice groups within Shutts, such as our commercial real estate practice group, to provide the benefit of a full-service law firm to our clients. Our firm can provide services related to the purchase, sale and financing of commercial real estate, as well as provide counsel to landlords and tenants on various leasing matters through our commercial litigation practice.
Our experience includes:
- Representing institutional, national, regional, and local landlords in office leasing including Class “A” office space and Central Business District office towers. We have one of the largest office leasing practices in the state.
- Representing landlords in long term ground lease transactions and leases for air rights.
- Representing office tenants.
- Representing landlords and tenants in warehouse and industrial leasing transactions.
- Representing landlords and tenants in medical office and laboratory facility leases.
- Creating and negotiating out parcel leases and Reciprocal Easement Agreements.
- Drafting and negotiating subleases, master leases, lease recognition agreements, non-disturbance agreements and landlord lien agreements.
- Creating landlord protections against construction lien liability.
- Credit enhancement techniques including letters of credit and lease bonds.
- Handling all types of property management issues and disputes, including the negotiation of property management and leasing agreements.
- Handling all types of landlord/tenant disputes and litigation.
- Negotiating and drafting building access agreements and roof-top license agreements with most major telecommunication service providers.
- Negotiating and drafting fiber optics transmission contracts and easements and sub-marine fiber agreements.
- Negotiating and drafting wind farm leases.
News & Insights
- Firm News, 4.13.22
- Recognition, 1.4.22
- Recognition, 12.9.21
- Firm News, 9.27.21
- Media Mention, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 8.16.21
- Firm News, 7.20.21
- Firm News, 7.8.21
- Firm News, Daily Business Review, 5.25.21
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 5.20.21
- Recognition, South Florida Legal Guide, 4.6.21
- Recognition, South Florida Business Journal, 2.4.21
- Firm News, 1.8.21
- Recognition, Palm Beach Illustrated, 12.8.20
- Media Mention, Daily Business Review, 11.3.20
- Firm News, Law360, 9.2.20
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 6.3.20
- Media Mention, South Florida Business Journal, 4.13.20
- Speaking Engagement, 3.5.20
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Article, 10.5.18
- Article, 10.5.18
- Recognition, 8.28.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Florida Commercial Real Estate Litigation Blog, 1.28.21
- Florida Commercial Real Estate Litigation Blog, 1.19.21
- Florida Commercial Real Estate Litigation Blog, 12.1.20
- Florida Commercial Real Estate Litigation Blog, 10.19.20
- Florida Commercial Real Estate Litigation Blog, 9.24.20