Timothy D. Woodward is a partner in the Tampa office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he leads the firm's Construction Litigation Practice Group. Board certified in Construction Law, Tim focuses his practice on commercial construction litigation.
Tim has experience assisting clients with construction law and commercial litigation related issues in the State of Florida. He has achieved successful results for clients in jury and non jury trials in Florida’s state and federal courts and in various arbitration proceedings. He's been listed among the Best Lawyers in America® in Construction Law since 2012 and has been recognized by Florida Super Lawyers since 2011.
Tim represents design professionals, contractors, owners, and developers in a myriad of disputes, including claims regarding:
- design errors and omissions;
- delay and acceleration damages;
- bonds and liens;
- professional negligence and licensure;
- building code and Americans with Disabilities Act violations;
- construction and materials defects;
- fraud and civil RICO;
- personal injuries; and,
- wrongful death.
Such disputes have involved the design or construction of airports, theme parks, subdivisions, condominiums, universities, public schools, homes, highways, pipelines, bridges, retirement and assisted living facilities, retail developments, underground utilities, dams and water reservoirs.
Professional and Community Involvement
Tim's involved in various bar association activities, including the Florida Bar Construction Law Committee, the American Bar Association’s Forum on the Construction Industry and the Hillsborough County Bar Association Construction Law Section, which he co-chaired from 2009-2011.
He shares his knowledge of construction law at speaking engagements for various construction industry groups such as the Associated General Contractors, American Society of Highway Engineers, American Society of Civil Engineers, Florida Transportation Builder’s Association, Florida Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Contractor’s Association and the Florida Engineering Society. Additionally, he has served as an adjunct professor at the University of South Florida College of Civil Engineering where he instructed a course on Construction Law to graduate and undergraduate students.
- University of Florida, J.D., 2000
- University of Florida, B.A., Political Science, 1997
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Pro Hac Vice Appearance, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- Pro Hac Vice Appearance, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Mississippi
Professional and Civic
- Hillsborough County Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Florida Bar Association, Construction Law Committee
- American Bar Association, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Associated General Contractors
- American Society of Highway Engineers
- Florida Transportation Builder’s Association
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, Chambers & Partners, 4.23.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Article, 8.18.14
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Construction Law
- Chambers & Partners, Construction, 2020
- Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, Construction Law, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019