When your company is facing a class action lawsuit, you want a team of attorneys who have extensive experience, litigation prowess, industry knowledge, and a strong track record of successfully defending high-stakes claims.
Our attorneys fiercely protect the interests of companies in the banking, insurance, consumer finance, consumer products, construction, telecommunications, pharmaceuticals, and other industries. We represent clients in matters involving federal and state product liability, breach of contract, consumer fraud, securities, torts, and deceptive trade practices claims.
Our attorneys are vigilant about staying on top of the latest case law and other developments in class litigation, including the Class Action Fairness Act and electronic discovery issues relating to class actions. Because of our widely recognized expertise in this area, our attorneys frequently speak before various audiences on class action litigation and serve on local and national rules committees involving complex litigation issues.
We are proud of our reputation for winning early, pre-certification dismissal of many class action cases, and for prevailing on the issue of class certification in numerous other class action lawsuits. When the right course of action means settling, we use our knowledge and experience to negotiate the best deals for our clients. In fact, several of the settlements we’ve reached have been used as industry models, and we routinely achieve maximum res judicata protection with minimal payments by our class action clients.
Our lawyers understand the many nuances of class action discovery issues and we employ traditional as well as innovative trial strategies and techniques. We often serve as coordinating counsel on state and national levels regarding class action and other mass action litigation.
Using our knowledge of and concern for our clients’ business objectives and our ability to tap firmwide resources and expertise at a moment’s notice to reply to pre-trial challenges, we take a tactical approach to dealing with all the potential hazards that can arise in class action litigation. We collaborate with clients to minimize the risks in possible regulatory, criminal liability, or potential reputation damage, which may cause greater long term harm than financial damages being sought in the litigation.
As a means to prevent problems, clients often ask us to review new company practices and procedures and draft and implement policies to protect them against exposure to class litigation. We also assess clients’ operations, identify areas of their business that are vulnerable to class litigation, and help fix those areas of concern.
Our lawyers are known for their creativity, energy, and superior litigation abilities. Our experience with class action matters ensures that our clients receive skilled, yet economical, representation that leads to the best possible outcomes for them.
News & Insights
- Article, 10.4.21
- Speaking Engagement, 9.9.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Media Mention, Tampa Bay Business Journal, 8.16.21
- Recognition, Super Lawyers, 6.24.21
- Firm News, Daily Business Review, 5.25.21
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 5.20.21
- Event, 3.23.21
- Firm News, 3.23.21
- Recognition, 2.17.21
- Firm News, 2.1.21
- Speaking Engagement, 1.20.21
- Firm News, U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers, 11.6.20
- Firm News, Law360, 9.2.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Recognition, Legacy Magazine, South Florida, 8.13.20
- Firm News, 8.7.20
- Rachel LaMontagne Featured Speaker at the 4th Annual Medicare Secondary Payer Conditional Payment ForumSpeaking Engagement, 7.8.20
- Firm News, 7.6.20
- Article, Daily Business Review, South Florida, 6.22.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 6.3.20
- Article, 1.29.20
- Article, 5.14.19
- Article, 1.28.19
- Article, 6.8.17
- Firm News, 2.15.17
- Article, 2.7.17
- Article, 1.27.17
- Article, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Article, 1.5.16
- Lauren M. Allen
- David O. Batista
- Douglas G. Brehm
- Matthew W. Innes
- Rachel M. LaMontagne
- Christian M. Leger
- Victoria San Pedro Madani
- Spencer M. Mayer
- Ryan M. McCarthy
- Manuel Negron
- Mayte Peña
- Dario A. Perez
- Eduardo H. Rivero
- Ivane Sargent
- Cari R. Shapiro
- Lonnie L. Simpson
- Raul L. Tano
- Tyler J. Walters
- Frank A. Zacherl