Brett Renton is a partner in the Orlando office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group.
Brett is a Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney and has been recognized by Florida Super Lawyers in business litigation. Brett represents individuals, companies, corporations, banks and government entities in business litigation/transactions, construction law, landlord-tenant matters, and government/environmental issues.
Brett has handled contract disputes, partnership breakups, dissolution's of companies, franchise/franchisee matters, and debt collection. He also works on both compliance with and litigation over consumer protection laws including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA), and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Additionally, Brett has advised a number of clients concerning their business issues.
Brett represents general contractors and other construction entities on many issues, including payment disputes and construction lien issues.
Landlord Tenant Matters
Brett represents tenants and landlords in all aspects of lease transactions, with an emphasis on commercial leasing. He has handled eviction claims, non-payment of rent actions, non-monetary defaults, and other leasing issues.
Among other government clients, Brett has represented the Sanford Airport Authority, the government entity that runs the Orlando-Sanford International Airport, for nearly 13 years. Brett has handled compliance issues concerning: financial and document disclosure requirements, public meeting requirements, federal and state grants, the Florida Sunshine Law, employee concerns, construction, environment, eminent domain and inverse condemnation matters. Additionally, Brett has worked with governments on a number of environmental issues and concerns, especially dealing with the use of PFAS in fire-fighting suppression foams.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- University of Florida, B.A., Business Administration, cum laude, 2004
- University of Florida, B.S., Advertising, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Fifth District Court of Appeal Judicial Nominating Commission (December 30, 2016 – July 1, 2020)
- Florida Citrus Sports Association, Bowl Team Scout Committee (2008—Present); Military Affairs Committee (2008—2011)
- Ninth Judicial Circuit Certified Process Server Program – Committee Member; appointed by Chief Judge; June, 2017-2018
- Ninth Judicial Circuit Local Professionalism Panel; appointed by Chief Judge; (2016 – 2018)
- Orange County Bar Association, Executive Council (2016 – 2017)
- Orange County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- Immediate Past President, June 1, 2017 – May 31, 2018
- President, June 1, 2016—May 31, 2017
- Board Member, 2012—2016, Treasurer (October 2013—May 2015)
- Chairperson, Golf Committee (2010—2012)
- Chairperson, Social Committee (2011—2013)
- Orange County Bar Association, Judicial Relations Committee, YLS Liaison (2013—2017)
- Young Lawyer Division, Florida Representative at the 2013 ABA Annual Meeting
- One Hope United Charity
- Governance Committee Member (2016- Present); Former Governance Chair (July 2017 – December 2019)
- Mergers and Acquisition Committee (2018-Present)
- Board of Directors (December 2016 – December 2019)
- Executive Committee (July 2017 – December 2019)
News & Insights
- 8th Annual Circuit Court Boot Camp: The Nuts and Bolts (FL), Pincus Professional Education Seminar; Afternoon Session, June 7, 2019
- Young Lawyer Panelist, "Practicing with Professionalism," January 28, 2016
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, Melbourne, FL, 5.6.20
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 6.8.17
- Article, 6.9.16
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated
- Civil Circuit Mediator
- Recognized by Orlando Family Magazine as one of 75 "Awesome Attorneys," 2016
- Florida Super Lawyers, Business Litigation
- Rising Star, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Super Lawyer, 2018, 2019
- Orange County Bar Association Outstanding Executive Council Member Award for Board Service in 2016-2017 (Presented May of 2017)