Eric S. Adams is a partner in the Tampa office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group and the Construction Practice Group. He is also Chair of the firm's E-Discovery Committee.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated commercial litigation attorney, Eric has been recognized as one of the Best Lawyers in America® and named by Florida Super Lawyers since 2008. His accounting experience helps him speak the language of his business clients. He focuses his practice on litigation involving business disputes, construction, trusts and estates, real estate, and intellectual property.
Eric represents business clients in cases involving business torts, director and officer liability, insurance disputes, Florida and federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act, and Florida and federal False Claims Act (FCA).
Eric works with owners, contractors, and insurers on various construction disputes. He has extensive experience with design, defect, delay, and insurance coverage aspects of construction litigation, including matters involving roof design, building envelope, water intrusion, window installation, stucco failures, framing and drywall, and construction standards of care. Eric also has experience handling hurricane-related moisture-intrusion cases, Florida Building Commission product approval, and public works projects.
Trusts and Estate Litigation
Eric concentrates his practice in estate litigation, both prosecuting and defending, which includes matters involving estates, trusts, probate, and guardianship. He represents clients with disputes throughout the State of Florida. Eric has represented personal representatives, trustees, and beneficiaries in estate litigation, both prosecution and defense, in matters involving estates, trusts, probate, and guardianships, including will and trust contests, claims of undue influence, and claims of beneficiaries.
Real Estate / Eminent Domain Litigation
Eric works with owners, developers, and builders on real estate disputes, including contracts, easements, and property boundaries, as well as eminent domain, inverse condemnation, and unlawful exaction.
Intellectual Property Litigation
Eric represents individuals and businesses with copyright, trademark, and patent cases. He has litigated matters involving trade secrets and other intellectual property, while also helping to enforce or to defend the enforcement of non-competition agreements. He has also represented builders in copyright cases involving allegations of copyright infringement associated with home designs.
Prior to joining Shutts, Eric was as an accountant with Coopers & Lybrand (now Price Waterhouse Coopers).
- Florida State University, J.D., cum laude, 1996
- Marshall University, B.B.A., magna cum laude, Economics & Spanish, 1992
- University of Valencia, Spain, 1991
- University of Oxford (Christ Church) England, 1990
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Professional and Civic
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Pepin Academies
- Hillsborough County Board of Directors (2020-present)
- Bay Area Legal Services
- Board of Directors (2003 - 2007)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa, Inc.
- Board of Directors (2002 - 2006)
- Tampa Connection
- Board of Directors (2005 to 2011)
- Chair (2008)
- Vice Chair (2007)
- Secretary (2006)
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, Super Lawyers, 6.24.21
- Speaking Engagement, Tampa, 11.25.20
- Media Mention, Business Observer, Tampa, 10.5.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Recognition, 5.29.20
- Event, 3.3.20
- Shutts Tampa Contributes as a Top Ten Company for the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast CancerArticle, 12.26.19
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Recognition, 2.22.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 4.25.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Publication, 3.1.16
- Recognition, 6.28.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
In The News
- "Legal Zoom: Law firms make big changes to please the virtual court," Business Observer (October 2, 2020)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rated
- Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2021
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2008 - 2021
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2006 through 2012, and 2014 through 2016