Aleksey Shtivelman is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the International Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
Originally from Odessa, Ukraine, Aleksey moved to Brooklyn, New York, in 1994 and received his law degree from Boston University in 2012. As a native Russian speaker and fluent in Spanish, Aleksey has successfully resolved high-stakes legal disputes representing foreign and domestic clients doing business in many jurisdictions, including Europe, Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
Aleksey’s practice includes advising clients in connection with foreign and domestic disputes, including power generation, aviation, and energy industries. Aleksey has also handled cases involving complex commercial disputes, mining, banking, sanctions and export controls compliance, property tax valuation disputes, and real estate. Specific matters include corporate shareholder disputes, high stakes breach of contract disputes, and business investment disputes. Aleksey has been recognized as one of South Florida’s “Most Effective Lawyers” by the Daily Business Review in the Business/Complex Litigation category and as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers.
- Represented commercial property owners in obtaining reductions in property taxes in valuation disputes in numerous counties across Florida.
- Represented an international business-to-business rental company in obtaining writs of replevin, allowing client to retake their personal property.
- Represented a power generation supplier in enforcing an anti-suit injunction, compelling the dispute to arbitration in Florida.
- Represented trustee beneficiary in a dispute regarding undue influence regarding assets conveyed by Trust, resulting in successful defense of the client’s rights to the assets conveyed.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2012
- Editor, Journal of Science and Technology Law
- Pro Bono Service Award, Boston University, 2012
- Stony Brook University, B.S., B.A., 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Mentor, Annual Minority Mentoring Picnic
- Russian American Chamber of Commerce
- Russian American Bar Association
News & Insights
- Panelist, Doing Business with Russian Investors, Greater Fort Lauderdale Realtors-Global Real Estate Council, April 6, 2017
- Solar Power Satellites: the Right to a Spot in the World’s Highest Parking Lot, 18 B.U. J. Sci. & Tech. L. 435 (September 2012)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Compliance with U.S. Export Sanctions is Critical in Global Economy: Amazon Hit with Fine for Selling to Sanctioned CountriesClient Alert, 7.14.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Article, 1.29.20
- Article, 12.11.17
- Russian American Bar Association hosts talk with Judge Stanford Blake and Magistrate Judge John O'Sullivan4.8.16
- Looking to Compel Arbitration? Recent Supreme Court Decision Suggests Additional Tools are AvailableInternational Disputes Blog, 8.5.20
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers - Business/Complex Litigation, 2017
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation - 2020
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021