Aleksey Shtivelman is a partner in the Miami office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the International Dispute Resolution Practice Group.
As a native Russian speaker and fluent in Spanish, Aleksey has successfully resolved high-stakes legal disputes representing foreign and domestic clients doing business in many jurisdictions, including Europe, Latin America, Africa, and Asia. Originally from Odessa, Ukraine, Aleksey moved to Brooklyn, New York, in 1994 and received his law degree from Boston University in 2012.
Aleksey’s practice includes advising clients in connection with foreign and domestic disputes, including power generation, aviation, and energy industries. Aleksey has also handled cases involving complex commercial disputes, mining, banking, sanctions and export controls compliance, property tax valuation disputes, and real estate. Specific matters include corporate shareholder disputes, high stakes breach of contract disputes, and business investment disputes. Aleksey has been recognized as one of South Florida’s “Most Effective Lawyers” by the Daily Business Review in the Business/Complex Litigation category and as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers.
- Represented commercial property owners in obtaining reductions in property taxes in valuation disputes in numerous counties across Florida.
- Represented an international business-to-business rental company in obtaining writs of replevin, allowing client to retake their personal property.
- Represented a power generation supplier in enforcing an anti-suit injunction, compelling the dispute to arbitration in Florida.
- Represented commercial property owner in dispute concerning commission as to multimillion-dollar property.
- Represented trustee beneficiary in a dispute regarding undue influence regarding assets conveyed by Trust, resulting in successful defense of the client’s rights to the assets conveyed.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2012
- Editor, Journal of Science and Technology Law
- Pro Bono Service Award, Boston University, 2012
- Stony Brook University, B.S., B.A., 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Professional and Civic
- Energy, Infrastructure and Climate Change Special Business Team
- NextGen Affinity Group
- Leadership Miami® Class XLII
- Winning community service initiative at Project Pitch Night 2021 and Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce's "Project of the Year"
- Mentor, Annual Minority Mentoring Picnic
- Russian American Chamber of Commerce
- Russian American Bar Association
News & Insights
- Panelist, “Demystifying the Economic Impact of US Sanctions Against Russia,” The Knowledge Group, July 12, 2022
- Panelist, "Arbitrator Selection and Other Issues in Arbitration," Palm Beach County Bar Association, February 14, 2022
- Panelist, "Doing Business with Russian Investors," Greater Fort Lauderdale Realtors-Global Real Estate Council, April 6, 2017
- Waves of Considerations Reach S. Fla.’s Real Estate Market as a Result of Ukraine Crisis, Daily Business Review (March 2022)
- Solar Power Satellites: the Right to a Spot in the World’s Highest Parking Lot, 18 B.U. J. Sci. & Tech. L. 435 (September 2012)
News & Speaking Engagements
- Firm News, 8.25.22
- Recognition, 8.18.22
- Speaking Engagement, 6.30.22
- Recognition, 6.27.22
- Media Mention, The Real Deal, 4.12.22
- Speaking Engagement, 3.31.22
- Media Mention, 3.22.22
- Media Mention, 3.16.22
- Media Mention, 3.10.22
- Media Mention, The Real Deal, 3.8.22
- Publication, Daily Business Review, 3.4.22
- Media Mention, Sun Sentinel, 3.2.22
- Media Mention, The Real Deal, 2.28.22
- Speaking Engagement, 2.9.22
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2022 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, The Best Lawyers in America®, 8.19.21
- Recognition, Super Lawyers, 6.24.21
- Recognition, Miami, 6.7.21
- Media Mention, Miami Herald, 4.13.21
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Compliance with U.S. Export Sanctions is Critical in Global Economy: Amazon Hit with Fine for Selling to Sanctioned CountriesClient Alert, 7.14.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Article, 1.29.20
- Article, 12.11.17
- Russian American Bar Association hosts talk with Judge Stanford Blake and Magistrate Judge John O'Sullivan4.8.16
- International Disputes Blog, 2.16.23
- Russian law says “no” to foreign arbitration proceedings against sanctioned Russian individuals and companiesInternational Disputes Blog, 7.20.22
- What do you do if your international legal problems are not only cross-border, but are literally, “out of this world”? Go to Space Court, where the Judges will speak your language.International Disputes Blog, 2.1.21
- Looking to Compel Arbitration? Recent Supreme Court Decision Suggests Additional Tools are AvailableInternational Disputes Blog, 8.5.20
- Compliance with U.S. Export Sanctions is Critical in Global Economy: Amazon Hit with Fine for Selling to Sanctioned CountriesBusiness and Legal Insights, 7.14.20
- Daily Business Review, Most Effective Lawyers - Business/Complex Litigation, 2017
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation - 2020, 2021, 2022
- Best Lawyers in America®,: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Avvo.com®, 9.7 Rating