Joseph W. Bain is a partner in the West Palm Beach office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Intellectual Property Practice Group.
A Martindale Hubbell AV® rated attorney, Joe is part of the inaugural class of attorneys Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law. His counseling and IP portfolio management expertise is complemented by over 25 years of IP litigation experience in various district courts throughout the nation and several trials before the International Trade Commission.
Joe is well-versed in securing, enforcing and defending against patents, trademarks and copyrights. He has represented clients from a variety of industries and technologies, including medical devices, advertising, real estate development and construction, cameras, image processing equipment, solar powered lighting systems, fuel cells, power generation turbines, toys, musical equipment, art, books, jewelry, sculpture and software. Joe’s mechanical engineering studies at Virginia Tech included a focus on bio-medical devices with Dr. Leon Arp—inventor of the Arp respirator.
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D.
- Virginia Tech, B.S., Mechanical Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
Professional and Civic
- Past President, Palm Beach Chapter, Federal Bar Association
- International Association for the Protection of Industrial Property (AIPPI)
- International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, Chambers & Partners, 4.23.20
- Article, 3.11.20
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Recognition, 8.28.18
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 6.8.17
- Recognition, 6.23.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rated
- Chambers & Partners, Intellectual Property, 2020
- Florida Trend Legal Elite, 2016
- Florida Super Lawyers, Intellectual Property Litigation, Intellectual Property, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- "Top Lawyer," Palm Beach Illustrated, 2018