Bowman Brown is Chairman of the Executive Committee and the Financial Services Practice Group of Shutts & Bowen LLP.
Bowman has been named in Best Lawyers in America® every year since 1983. He is currently listed in five areas: Banking Law, Corporate Law, Insurance Law, International Trade and Financial Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law. He was named by Chambers USA – America’s Leading Lawyers for Business 2005 as a “dean of the bank regulatory world – if you want to set up in Florida, he’s your guy.” He has been named by Chambers USA every year since 2007 as the only Florida banking and finance lawyer to receive Chambers' highest rating — the “Star Individual” designation. In 2015, he earned Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards. In 2016, he was the only lawyer listed by the Expert Guide for Florida and the region south of Washington, D.C. in Banking, Finance and Transactional Law.
Bowman has served as Chairman of The Florida Bank Banking Law & Credit Regulation Committee and as General Counsel and member of the Executive Committee of the Florida International Bankers Association, Inc. Bowman has served two three-year terms as a member of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York Banking Law Committee and as a Trustee of the Pan American Development Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based affiliate of the Organization of the American States.
In 2006, Bowman received the Judge’s Award from the Beacon Council, South Florida’s public/private economic development organization, for his efforts in developing and implementing legislation designed to encourage the development of Florida as an international insurance carrier.
Bowman is the editor of “International Banking Centres” published by Euromoney, London; and “Private Banking and the Law,” published by LatinFinance. He has served as Adjunct Professor of Banking Law at the University of Miami School of Law.
- Cornell University, J.D.
- Cornell University, M.B.A.
- New York
- District of Columbia
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Recognition, Chambers & Partners, 4.23.20
- Media Mention, Daily Business Review, 4.23.20
- Recognition, 4.9.20
- Media Mention, South Florida Legal Guide, 4.8.20
- Media Mention, 3.20.20
- Media Mention, 3.18.20
- Recognition, 9.10.19
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Article, 5.3.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 5.26.17
- Recognition, 3.15.17
- Recognition, 1.17.17
- Shutts & Bowen Adds Former FINRA Senior Enforcement Attorney Kevin D. Rosen as a Partner to the Financial Services Practice GroupArticle, 10.18.16
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Recognition, 5.27.16
- Media Mention, 4.25.16
- Recognition, 11.25.15
- Article, 10.2.15
- Recognition, 6.25.15
- Shutts & Bowen Posts Solid Gains in AmLaw 200 Rankings and Surpasses Peer Averages in Profitability and Revenue6.2.15
- South Florida Legal Guide recognized Shutts & Bowen as a Top Law Firm, and named these 21 Shutts & Bowen lawyers as 2015 Top Lawyers.2.9.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Article, 1.4.10
- Recognition, 6.2.06
- SEC Interim Final Rules Implementing the Securities Activities “Push Out” Provisions of the GLBA, with Bryan Wells and William McCullough, Banking and Financial Services Policy Report (July 2001).
- The Big Push in Private Banking Law: Implications of the “Push Out” Provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999, with Bryan Wells, Latin Finance Magazine (May 2001).
- Banking Across Borders: Regulatory Frameworks Dictate Business, with Bryan Wells and William McCullough, Latin Finance Magazine (January - February 1996)
- Author, “International Banking Centres,” Euromoney, London (1982)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – designated as “Star Individual” in the Banking & Financial Regulatory category every year since 2007. The only Florida lawyer so designated.
- Included in the Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business -- Banking & Financial Transactional category every year from 2007 through 2016.
- Chambers: USA, Banking & Finance: Regulatory, 2018-2020
- Florida Trend, Florida 500, 2018
- Daily Business Review, Lifetime Achiever Award Honoree, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America®, listed since 1983 in Banking Law, Corporate Law, Insurance Law, International Trade and Finance Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 1983-2020
- Best Lawyers in America® - 2014 Lawyer of the Year - Mergers & Acquisitions Law - Miami
- Listed in Expert Guides (the World’s Leading Lawyers Chosen by their Peers) 2015, 2016 - the only lawyer in the Southeastern United States to be listed as a banking law expert of the 129 United States lawyers listed as banking law experts.
- South Florida Business and Wealth Magazine Leaders in Law – 2015 awards – Attorney of the Year – Corporate Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated
- One of six Florida lawyers included in the Who’s Who Legal Banking 2016 published by Law Business Research Ltd. based upon opinions of law firm clients and banking lawyers from around the world
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, selected for inclusion 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Florida Trend's Trendsetter in the Law, 2010
- South Florida Business Journal: Listed as a "Power Leader" in the South Florida region, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- South Florida Legal Guide Top Lawyer, selected for inclusion every year since 2002 through 2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Miami Daily Business Review, one of South Florida's most effective lawyers
- Corporate INTL Magazine Legal Award, Banking & Finance in Florida, 2013