Bowman Brown is the Chairman of the Shutts & Bowen Executive Committee and Co-Chair of the Financial Services Industry practice group. His practice focuses on the financial services industry and insurance regulatory matters.
Over the course of his career, Bowman has been at the forefront of the international legal arena. He has helped transform Florida into an international banking and business center through his efforts to make Florida, and South Florida in particular, the leading location for international banks and businesses targeting Latin America and the Caribbean.
He has worked with the Florida Office of Financial Regulation and its predecessor the Florida Comptroller’s Office, the Florida Legislature and the Securities and Exchange Commission to secure the adoption of much of the legislation and regulation required to maintain a favorable climate for international banking and business in Florida, including:
- Legislation to permit the operation of international banking facilities
- Choice of law, choice of forum provisions favorable to the operation of international business from Florida
- Provisions to facilitate the offering of international securities to non-residents from Florida
- Changes in Florida law permitting the establishment of international bank branches
- Choice of law, choice of forum legislation designed to allow parties with no contacts with Florida to choose Florida law and the Florida courts to resolve disputes involving more than $250,000
- Legislation to make it clear that the relationship of a foreign customer of a Florida bank with the bank is to be governed by Florida law
- Legislation to exempt international banking activities from Florida taxation to attract offshore international banking activity to Florida
- Numerous other provisions of Florida law designed to facilitate the operations of international banks and other international businesses from Florida
- Legislation to permit major insurance companies to sell life insurance and annuity products to non-U.S. residents from Florida with a minimum of burdensome regulation
Throughout his career, Bowman has been recognized as a leading lawyer, beginning in the 1980s when he was recognized by the American Lawyer as one of 40 lawyers in America under the age of 40 to watch. He has been listed in every edition of Best Lawyers in America since its first publication in three practice areas: banking, international trade and finance, and insurance law. Additionally, he has been named by Chambers USA as the only Florida bank regulatory lawyer to receive the “Star Individual” rating, and has been described in his rankings as the “dean of banking lawyers in Florida.”
Bowman has been recognized in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, Florida Trend’s “TrendSetter in Law,” and the South Florida Legal Guide. He was also recognized by the Daily Business Review as one of South Florida’s “most effective lawyers”. In addition, he has been recognized for his achievements by the Florida International Bankers Association, the International Section of the Florida Bar, and the Beacon Counsel.
He is the editor of “International Banking Centres” published by Euromoney, London and “Private Banking and the Law,” published by LatinFinance.
- Cornell University, J.D.
- Cornell University, M.B.A.
- New York
- District of Columbia
Professional and Civic
Bowman serves or has served in the following capacities:
- Adjunct Professor of Banking Law, University of Miami School of Law
- Chairman, The Florida Bar Banking Law & Credit Regulation Committee
- General Counsel, Florida International Bankers Association, Inc.
- Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, Florida International Bankers Association
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York Banking Law Committee (two - three year terms)
- Trustee, Pan American Development Foundation, a Washington, D.C.-based affiliate of the Organization of the American States
- Chairman, Beacon Council Financial Services Task Force
- Executive Committee, Beacon Council
News & Insights
News & Speaking Engagements
- Media Mention, Daily Business Review, 6.19.20
- Recognition, The American Lawyer, 6.3.20
- Recognition, Chambers & Partners, 4.23.20
- Media Mention, Daily Business Review, 4.23.20
- Recognition, 4.9.20
- Media Mention, South Florida Legal Guide, 4.8.20
- Media Mention, 3.20.20
- Media Mention, 3.18.20
- Article, 1.29.20
- Recognition, 9.10.19
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Firm News, 6.20.18
- Article, 5.3.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Article, 8.21.17
- Article, 5.26.17
- Recognition, 3.15.17
- Recognition, 1.17.17
- Shutts & Bowen Adds Former FINRA Senior Enforcement Attorney Kevin D. Rosen as a Partner to the Financial Services Practice GroupArticle, 10.18.16
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Recognition, 5.27.16
- Media Mention, 4.25.16
- Recognition, 11.25.15
- Article, 10.2.15
- Recognition, 6.25.15
- Shutts & Bowen Posts Solid Gains in AmLaw 200 Rankings and Surpasses Peer Averages in Profitability and Revenue6.2.15
- South Florida Legal Guide recognized Shutts & Bowen as a Top Law Firm, and named these 21 Shutts & Bowen lawyers as 2015 Top Lawyers.2.9.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Article, 1.4.10
- Recognition, 6.2.06
- SEC Interim Final Rules Implementing the Securities Activities “Push Out” Provisions of the GLBA, with Bryan Wells and William McCullough, Banking and Financial Services Policy Report (July 2001).
- The Big Push in Private Banking Law: Implications of the “Push Out” Provisions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act of 1999, with Bryan Wells, Latin Finance Magazine (May 2001).
- Banking Across Borders: Regulatory Frameworks Dictate Business, with Bryan Wells and William McCullough, Latin Finance Magazine (January - February 1996)
- Author, “International Banking Centres,” Euromoney, London (1982)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business – designated as “Star Individual” in the Banking & Financial Regulatory category every year since 2007. The only Florida lawyer so designated.
- Included in the Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business -- Banking & Financial Transactional category every year from 2007 through 2016.
- Chambers: USA, Banking & Finance: Regulatory, 2018-2020
- Florida Trend, Florida 500, 2018
- Daily Business Review, Lifetime Achiever Award Honoree, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America®, listed since 1983 in Banking Law, Corporate Law, Insurance Law, International Trade and Finance Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 1983-2020
- Best Lawyers in America® - 2014 Lawyer of the Year - Mergers & Acquisitions Law - Miami
- Listed in Expert Guides (the World’s Leading Lawyers Chosen by their Peers) 2015, 2016 - the only lawyer in the Southeastern United States to be listed as a banking law expert of the 129 United States lawyers listed as banking law experts.
- South Florida Business and Wealth Magazine Leaders in Law – 2015 awards – Attorney of the Year – Corporate Law
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent® Rated
- One of six Florida lawyers included in the Who’s Who Legal Banking 2016 published by Law Business Research Ltd. based upon opinions of law firm clients and banking lawyers from around the world
- Florida Trend's Florida Legal Elite, selected for inclusion 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Florida Trend's Trendsetter in the Law, 2010
- South Florida Business Journal: Listed as a "Power Leader" in the South Florida region, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- South Florida Legal Guide Top Lawyer, selected for inclusion every year since 2002 through 2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Miami Daily Business Review, one of South Florida's most effective lawyers
- Corporate INTL Magazine Legal Award, Banking & Finance in Florida, 2013