Joseph M. Goldstein is the Managing Partner of the Fort Lauderdale office of Shutts & Bowen LLP, where he is a member of the Business Litigation Practice Group. Joseph also practices out of the Tallahassee office.
A Martindale-Hubbell AV® rated attorney, Joseph is among the less than one percent of attorneys who are Florida Bar Board Certified in Business Litigation. He is also a Florida Supreme Court Certified Civil Circuit Mediator. Joseph has been recognized as a “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers in America ®, listed as a “Power Leader” by South Florida Business Journal as well as the “Top Lawyers in South Florida” by South Florida Legal Guide.
Businesses involved in disputes or government bid protests rely on his expertise, trial experience and government background. Joseph regularly represents defense companies, technology firms, construction firms and government service providers in their business disputes and government bid protests. His practice focuses on business litigation; government contracts, including bid protests; litigation involving non-competition agreements; and real estate related disputes.
- As the result of a bid protest trial, Joe successfully helped a technology company receive a government contract after its proposal was initially rejected.
- He reversed a potential debarment from government contracting for a construction services company that was under allegations of improper conduct.
Joe acted as lead special counsel for the State of Florida, Agency of Healthcare Administration (AHCA), for multi-billion dollar Statewide Managed Medicaid Care procurement and bid protests.
He led and managed efforts before the Supervisor of Elections and the Canvassing Board in Broward County during historic 2018 recounts in three election contests (Senate, Governor, and Agriculture Secretary) for the National Republican Senatorial Committee and related parties.
- He successfully defended a business in a dispute involving alleged theft of proprietary materials and noncompete agreements. This was done through prosecution of an evidentiary hearing and settlement negotiations, including overturning an injunction prohibiting competition.
A former Assistant General Counsel for the federal government, Joseph has experience in government contracting law and is well known within local and state procurement divisions. He has also been a part-time hearing officer for Broward County for bid protests and debarment hearings under the Broward County Procurement Code. He is a former member of the City of Plantation Planning & Zoning Board. The American Bar Association’s Public Contract Law Section appointed Joseph to Vice-Chair of the State and Local Procurement Division.
After graduating from law school, Joseph served as a law clerk to Judge Patricia Fawsett on the U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida. Following his clerkship, he fulfilled his military commitment arising from his ROTC scholarship. He was selected to serve in the Air Force General Counsel's Honors Program at the Pentagon, where he served on active duty from 1991 until 1994. There he represented the Air Force in more than 150 bid protests before the General Services Board of Contract Appeals and the General Accountability Office. He conducted legal reviews and negotiations with major defense contractors and assisted the Department of Justice in prosecuting fraud and qui tam suits. He left the Air Force as a Captain and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal.
Joseph is the former Chair and Vice Chair of the Board of Directors for the Broward Public Library Foundation and current Board Member of the Broward Workshop, and former Chair of the Board of the Leadership Broward Foundation.
- Georgetown University Law Center, LL.M., Tax, with distinction, 1994
- Nova University, J.D., magna cum laude, 1989
- Cornell University, B.S., Urban and Regional Studies, 1986
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Professional and Civic
- American Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Past or Present State and Local Procurement Division
- Vice Chair, State and Local Bid Protest Committee
- Co-Chair, State Law Database Coordination
- Broward County Bar Association
- Board Director
- Bench and Bar Committee Member
- Former Chair, Florida Bar 17th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee "D"
- Former Chair, Leadership Broward Foundation
- Board Director, Broward Public Library Foundation
- Former Chair
- Board Director, Broward Workshop
- Co-Chair, Business Advocacy Committee
- Board Director, Friends of WLRN
- Second Vice Chair
News & Insights
- Presenter, “Education Board Certification Procurement - February 2019,” The Florida Bar Education Law Committee 2019 Certification Review Course (February 2019)
- Presenter, "Florida Bid Protests: Overview and Statistical Analysis," American Bar Association, Section of Public Contract Law, State and Local Division (February 28, 2019)
- Panelist and Moderator, “Negotiating the Contract – What Can be Changed,” 11th Annual State and Local Procurement Symposium for the American Bar Association Public Contract Law Section (April 8, 2016)
- Author, Practitioner Insights, "Government Employee May be qui tam Relator Under Federal but not State False Claims Act"
- Florida State Procurement Handbook
- Author, Chapter on Florida Procurement Law, American Bar Association, Section of Public Contract Law, "Guide to State Procurement, a 50-State Primer on Purchasing Laws, Processes and Procedures."
- Government Contracts Update - Changes to Broward County Bid Protest Rules: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
News & Speaking Engagements
- Joseph M. Goldstein and Andrew Schwartz Present "Advanced Florida Bid Protests: The Law and Practical Tips"Event, 9.17.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America® 2021 Edition; 6 Attorneys Selected as ‘Lawyer of the Year’Recognition, 8.20.20
- Recognition, Florida Trend, 6.22.20
- Firm News, Thomson Reuters, 6.4.20
- Speaking Engagement, 5.12.20
- Firm News, Melbourne, FL, 5.6.20
- Recognition, 4.9.20
- Recognition, 2.10.20
- Firm News, 1.3.20
- Shutts & Bowen Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in Best Lawyers in America 2020; 8 Partners Selected as 'Lawyer of the Year'Recognition, 8.15.19
- Recognition, 6.24.19
- Firm News, 6.4.19
- Article, 5.3.19
- Recognition, 3.19.19
- Shutts & Bowen LLP Welcomes David O. Batista and Sara Levy as Partners in its Fort Lauderdale Office2.26.19
- Article, 8.15.18
- Recognition, 6.19.18
- Article, 1.11.18
- Article, 10.20.17
- Article, 8.21.17
- Recognition, 6.22.17
- Article, 6.8.17
- South Florida Managing Partners Selected as Power Leaders; Firm Ranked 4th in List of South Florida Law Firms6.6.17
- Recognition, 1.17.17
- Recognition, 8.16.16
- Article, 6.9.16
- Coral Springs Vice Mayor Dan Daley Joins Shutts & Bowen’s Business Litigation and Land Use/Zoning Practice GroupsArticle, 6.8.16
- Article, 2.4.16
- Recognition, 11.25.15
- South Florida Legal Guide recognized Shutts & Bowen as a Top Law Firm, and named these 21 Shutts & Bowen lawyers as 2015 Top Lawyers.2.9.15
- Article, 8.18.14
- Article, 8.15.13
- Factoring Company Prevails Against State Agency to Enforce the Assignment of Accounts Receivables from a Government ContractFlorida Government Contracts Blog, 5.8.17
- Florida Government Contracts Blog, 10.13.16
- Florida Government Contracts Blog, 8.11.16
- Florida Bar Board Certified in Business Litigation
- Certified Civil Circuit Mediator by the Florida Supreme Court
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rated, 5.0 out of 5.0
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders 250, 2019
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders, 2018
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders in Law, 2017
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders in Law & Accounting, 2016
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Administrative/Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year" 2014, 2021
- Administrative/Regulatory Law, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- South Florida Business Journal: "Power Leader" in South Florida, 2014
- South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Lawyers," 2007-2019
- Florida Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Florida Trend's Legal Elite, 2014, 2017, 2019, 2020